Steam Half life issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

link590o

For a little while, I shared an account with a friend of mine, and he had purchased and downloaded Half Life. By sharing the account I managed to play it too until I got my own copy of it.

The ***** that I am, I used his account to activate my copy, and now that I've used my product code under his name, I can't activate Half Life under my own name, even though it's my copy, and it's my product code.

I am at a loss with what to do. I need to figure out a way to get my code to activate it for me, without forcing my friend to delete his copy that he paid for.

Can anybody help me figure this out? Or do I have to take this up with Steam? I'm not sure how kindly they would take to the fact that I was playing Half Life for free for a few days, even though I bought my own copy meanwhile.

Just tell them that you've purchased your copy & accidentally activated it over an account which had already purchased Half-Life. They should notice that one account has two serial keys for the same software & will at least concur that it's odd. ;)

Unfortunately you're at a bit of a disadvantage because there are a ton of people trying to scam their way into an authorized steam account. As the previous poster said, if you can provide steam with receipt details and two separate CD keys, they should be able to help you. If you can't give them anything but your word, you might be up the creek.

Did you buy it over STEAM or did you go to a store and buy it?

If you bought it over STEAM, you should get a Email with the receipt, all you do is tell Valve that you accidentally bought it and put it onto another account besides your own. Just send them that receipt and they'll send you another copy.

If you bought it from a Store, then you'll have to get a camera and take a picture of the box, then send it to Valve over Email. Also, you have to show the receipt along with the box ( like write down the information in Email or provide another picture of it ) so they can prove you actually bought it instead of just googled a box of HL.

Maybe send them a photo of yourself at the store you bought HL at, holding the game in one hand and today's newspaper in the other, and the store owner behind you giving the thumb's up (and also holding today's newspaper, so they know you didn't photoshop him in). You should include signed letters from the friend whose account you initially used, the store owner, and a letter of reference from clergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back