Steam is 10 today. Remember when it sucked?

By Jos
Sep 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Birthdays are normally a time for celebration, but you know what? People heap adulation on Steam every day of the year. So let's flip it, and spend today remembering when Steam was new, and was just about the worst thing...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

And when Half-Life 3 launches it will collapse again ;) Oh, and I'm still completely opposed to any form of online authentication except while installing the game initially. It forces bloatware onto your system, its a hassle for those with unreliable Internet and it and hasn't stopped a single pirate.
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

It sucked as early as two years ago. There's been a lot of back-end changes to improve.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,097   +724

I would say 3.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Upon review, yes, three. I forgot that I lost some gaming time in there. :p
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,066   +1,179

Must have sucked before I signed up for Steam. lol
    RenGood08 likes this.
  7. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

I remember the days of "Hmm why am I lagging so much? Oh steam is automatically updating something in the background". In it's infancy it certainly caused a bit of frustration but in it's current format it's being copied by every developer/publisher and their dog(that's you EA!).... Origin, Arc(for Neverwinter Online), one from Ubisoft for Farcry 3 and recently GoG have been moving into new games rather than just old ones. Might have had a few hiccups along the way but now have themselves in a good domination position. I know myself and friends thought "Origin, just to play BF3, what a pain! Why can't they just use Steam like everyone else".
    spectrenad likes this.
  8. FLWrd

FLWrd Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +8

I've got just one Steam game (some FPS), but my experience with Steam is quite negative. I still avoid it.
  9. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

All hail Valve! All hail Valve! All hail Valve! All hail Valve! ^_^
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,188   +511

I've had Steam since HL2 and yet apart from having to have it installed to play certain games, I've never used it.
  11. trgz

trgz Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

Just looked up my account and I've had 9 years and a few months of Steam - didn't overly like it at first but I could see the potential. As a platform it's never really sucked in my opinion but it has definitely improved.
    Now if only I could say the same of Origin; and if Gabe came around my place a took a dump on my keyboard it'd still be a less nauseating experience than GFWL or Uplay..
  12. It still suck.... kill steam and gives us the games for playing when we want to.
  13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,721   +286

Have fun playing retail prices all the time for your games then...
    Steam has pretty much saved PC gaming... Plus you can still play steam games offline...

In one hand I hate steam for being anay sort of DRM but on the other hand I would never play PC games if I couldnt get steam prices on them.

14. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +105

I remember buying half life 2 at blockbuster video in the UK.

The salesman said it came with no warranty at all, And once you used the product key you were screwed.

Still bought it,

Waited for it to download, Signed the terms and conditions (seem to remember it being the first one you had to scroll down to get to the bottom paragraph and "I agree" button. :)

Played half life 2 for a few days but I think CS source that came included was how I spent most of my time playing. Still have the odd go even today.
  15. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 617   +111

I resisted for quite awhile, always preferring the shiny boxes and physical CD/DVDs. But I soon learned that resistance was futile and I succumbed to the low prices and ease of purchase, download, and install. I soon found myself trying to convert my friends like it was a matter of life and death. I became a bonafide fanboy. @_@
  16. BigMack70

BigMack70 Newcomer, in training

I've been a Steam member since Oct 11, 2003... I was one of the fortunate ones who had no issues with it with HL2/CS:S/etc and I never understood the complaining about it.

I <3 Steam and wish all PC games were on it
  17. n00bzZy

n00bzZy TechSpot Member Posts: 37

I hate Steam as much as I love it. Made me turn from pirating every game I wanted to ~250 games on Steam. The sad part is I pretty much only play Dota 2 these days xD
  18. ypsylon

ypsylon Newcomer, in training Posts: 38   +6

It still sux donkey ballz. Refuse to use this trojan. I wonder how much NSA paid Valve to create it (or MS for Windows Live).

I have no problem with paying more/much more for independent games. Kudos to all e-shops which allow internal search engine to exclude $team-bound titles.

Death to intrusive DRM!
  19. I really like Steam and think they do a good job for the customer. They have the best sales and deals around. They support PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) gaming. It's easy to use and they continue to improve things. Happy Birthday Steam.
  20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,197   +228

I'm an admitted Steam fanboy, but when it first came out I really hated it. I saw a buddy who had it and thought it was garbage - especially when he had such a hard time showing me a game he "owned". A bit later I had a buddy who I knew wanted HL2 - so I bought him Orange Box and he said he couldn't wait to play with me... had to give him the bad news that I didn't get it for myself because I refused to use Steam. I watched him for a while and noticed that Steam was getting better... and the longer I watched him the better it seemed to get.

These days I mostly refuse to buy any games if they are unavailable for Steam except maybe an MMO. I even have an Origin account with several games in it but I don't play any of them because I refuse to install Origin (I've hated EA for years now). Games that I do acquire outside of Steam are still launched via Steam. I got my wife and two daughters their own Steam accounts and now I fund 4 gaming habits. I also set up a "server" account that I was hoping to use both for my dedicated game server (for steam tools) and hopefully one day for my Big Picture games. I talk to game developers here that I know and I share this experience with them so they see that some of us find it important to have our games available via Steam (you'd be surprised how many game development companies are within a few miles of me).

When it comes down to it, Yes I'd prefer no DRM at all, but I'd still like to have that along with a library management tool. Steam DRM is acceptable to be simply because it works 99.9% or more of the time. They don't try to do any janky mess like install rootkits (say what you want about the Steam software) and the more you learn about it the more you figure out that you can still use it mostly the way you want. I still hear people complain about not being able to play their games without being connected or showing everyone on their lists what they are playing but that's not entirely true. Also, when Steam makes a price mistake and sells stuff wayyyyy too cheap they still honor it. I picked up a AAA game right after release for $4.91 one time - it was priced that way for only a few minutes but they still let me keep it. Steam gives that proper balance (IMO) of DRM + Convenience. Steam sales don't hurt anything either except my wallet.
    Puiu and cliffordcooley like this.
  21. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 393   +63

Excuse me.. you have a little foam in the corner of your mouth ^^. I hope you realize no one will take you serious for spouting such a load of garbage.

Back to topic, I get that DRM is "intrusive" but honestly don't see us moving away from that model anytime soon. I really like steam, been using it only since L4D and had I bought these games as physical copies I would have lost the discs years ago. But with steam I can reinstall those games anytime with a buttonclick.
    spectrenad and cliffordcooley like this.
  22. When it sucked? It still does at times. Plenty of issues depending on the game, just look at the CoD BO II. It's a joke.
    Allowing companies to put a game out that's clearly not finished and then allowing them to make money on it. Alot of games are starting to get to where they are free (betas) but if you really want certain things or advance quickly (not as slow as the game does) you are going to have to pay some amount of money. Some call it pay to play. Whatever you want to call it, it's the new thing. Realize though you playing and paying for an unfinished product that can only get finished is if you actually buy stuff, otherwise it wont/can't get completed. War Thunder is a big example of this.

There are plent of others are there that are starting to do this type of model. Steam even allows a developer to sell a game but dev only does an update once in awhile, while the game itself is riddled with bugs and mods are unplayable since no development has happened for some in 3 years. To me that is unacceptable and Steam needs to be held accountable for even allowing a game like that on their platform.
  23. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,197   +228

Wait.. what? You're expecting Steam to control the development of a game other than a Valve title? I'm confused. Steam is a distribution/metering/monitoring tool - they have no control over the development process or cycle of any game other than those from Valve. I think you have some misdirected feelings about games you've had bad experiences with.
  24. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 761   +178

Just seeing the 2004 screenshot was worth the clicky.
  25. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 655   +34

I remember when Steam sucked and was hated haha Now I can't imagine PC gaming without it! lol It truly help PC gaming trive!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.