Stellar Impact developer unveils new RTS project dubbed Etherium

Russ Boswell

It's been a while since we last saw a great RTS. The Command and Conquer series has left a lot to be desired lately, and with nothing new from Blizzard since Starcraft 2, the RTS category could benefit from a new franchise. Focus Home Interactive hopes to revitalize the genre with a new RTS project dubbed Etherium. This isn't the developer's first title, they are the same people behind the online space strategy/simulation title, Stellar Impact.

The release will have you take control of one of three factions, and battle for authority of Etherium, a precious resource. Each faction will have its own strengths and weaknesses, along with special powers and “colossi of war,” which act as massive, powerful, champion-type units. The teaser trailer above will give you a glimpse at what some of the units look like, but unfortunately the video doesn't reveal much information about the factions or what we can expect in terms of gameplay.

One unique standout feature is the weather system. There will be seven separate planets to wage battle upon, each with their own special environmental hazards and safeguards. Cross a frozen lake to get a tactical position on your enemy, or cloak your units in a sandstorm as you move stealthily across the battlefield. These are just a couple of the weather-based strategies that Focus Home Interactive hopes to employ with their upcoming RTS.

The title will feature a non-linear campaign and four-person online multiplayer battles. Etherium is due to release sometime in spring of 2014 for PC.

Permalink to story.

"The Command and Conquer series has left a lot to be desired lately, and with nothing new from Blizzard since Starcraft 2" The last part about Blizzard, I almost fell over I laughed so hard. Blizzard make a new game? HaHaHa, yeah right. Unfortunately the RTS genre has such high standards, obviously set by the big two. Heck I still prefer the original SC over the new one, and don't see any one coming close to my expectations because of that. And I won't be holding my breath for a new SC any time in the next 10 years.

I don’t see why Blizzard is expected to replace SC2 already or even should. Since the game has been released it has gone through two major overhauls that made it unrecognizable to how it used to be. They constantly add new maps and unlockable items and the next round of that is due out soon with patch 2.1. Heart of The Swarm added new units and again Blizzard did an overhaul of the game when that expansion was released.

Frankly if all developers spent that much time updating their games, adding new content and keeping it current we would have much better games. If you want Blizzard to adopt the EA model and churn out rubbish every other day, well go play the C&C series ;)

The Dawn of War RTS games were fantastic, I would love to see another one of those. But Focus Home doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to releasing fully hashed software. I'll be curious to see how this game turns out stability wise.

I don’t see why Blizzard is expected to replace SC2 already or even should. Since the game has been released it has gone through two major overhauls that made it unrecognizable to how it used to be. They constantly add new maps and unlockable items and the next round of that is due out soon with patch 2.1. Heart of The Swarm added new units and again Blizzard did an overhaul of the game when that expansion was released.

Frankly if all developers spent that much time updating their games, adding new content and keeping it current we would have much better games. If you want Blizzard to adopt the EA model and churn out rubbish every other day, well go play the C&C series ;)

I play SC but was never interested in SC2 because of a large amount of negative reviews upon release. You may have just tipped the balance with your comment, I may have to try it now!

This new game looks interesting, that is a true teaser trailer though, they aren't giving much away.

Ehm this is very typical for Focus. They allways rip off other games by producing their own version of it. One good example is Torchlight 2 and went and made Realms of an Ancient War which was more like a rip off from TL1. Ofc the game sucked hard full with flaws and problems and so on. Now they have this one RTS game out its the Wargame series but now they need a futuristic one. I suspect that they looked at Total Anihilation and Starcraft and now think they need their own copy paste rip off rushed low time living game to ya know make some money. Its a hilarious busines practice.

I would like to note that Interstellar Marines had its fair share of problems and is a MP game only which is completely dead after a short time.Same is it with Wargame which lives for only a year until it gets "replaced" by the next iteration in the series which ends up even more rushed out the door.

In short I take everything from Focus with a grain of salt.

Ehm this is very typical for Focus. They allways rip off other games by producing their own version of it. One good example is Torchlight 2 and went and made Realms of an Ancient War which was more like a rip off from TL1. Ofc the game sucked hard full with flaws and problems and so on. Now they have this one RTS game out its the Wargame series but now they need a futuristic one. I suspect that they looked at Total Anihilation and Starcraft and now think they need their own copy paste rip off rushed low time living game to ya know make some money. Its a hilarious busines practice.

I would like to note that Interstellar Marines had its fair share of problems and is a MP game only which is completely dead after a short time.Same is it with Wargame which lives for only a year until it gets "replaced" by the next iteration in the series which ends up even more rushed out the door.

In short I take everything from Focus with a grain of salt.

oh damn did I write Interstellar marines? Sorry very Sorry I meant Stellar Impact. So many similar sounding names in my head...

There has been news a few weeks back that the C&C series will get a remake of the original red alert. Also Blizzard has made it clear a month or so back that they are very interested to making a follow up for the warcraft series aswell (rts-wise).

I'm sorry, but I've never cared about sc at all, I enjoy the campaign of the new games and I can enjoy playing against other players, but still it's not my genre...

The one franchise I'm still hoping will resurface is dune, I can't stop but remember playing that days on end. The only made crappy follow ups after Dune 2!

Back