Steve Ballmer shouted at board members and threatened to resign over Nokia deal

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Most of Microsoft's board members including Bill Gates, Satya Nadella, and Tony Bates, initially opposed Steve Ballmer’s proposal to acquire Nokia, according to a Bloomberg report. While current CEO Satya Nadella later changed his mind, former Skype CEO Tony Bates, who is no longer onboard, remained adamant.

Last year, Ballmer proposed the acquisition of Nokia's Devices and Services unit. The board was not only reluctant to move into hardware, they also found the deal quite expensive. Despite of the opposition from many top executives, he wanted to have his way, and tried hard for it. At a board meeting held in June, he even shouted and threatened to resign. He was so loud that his shouts could be heard outside the conference room.

Later, he got most of what he wanted, when the board agreed to a $7.2 billion purchase of Nokia’s mobile phone business. Although he was deeply hurt that Gates didn't back him. Bloomberg's sources claim the directors were frustrated by Ballmer's tendency to talk more than listen, and his reaction to the pushback on Nokia was for some the last straw.

Ballmer had also appointed Penn and Tami Reller as joint in charge of marketing aspects, a move that didn't go down well with Reller, who later asked Ballmer to choose between them. Reller is now leaving Microsoft, and will be replaced by Chris Capossela.

On August 22, just before announcing his retirement, Ballmer talked to Nokia Chairman Risto Siilasmaa and CEO Stephen Elop separately to reassure that the company remained committed to the deal. He wouldn't have resigned "unless he’d lost Gates’s backing", said Yale University business professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld. It was Gates who convinced him to drop out of business school to join Microsoft in 1980.

The report also touches basis on Allan Mullaly, who was a top contender for Microsoft's top job, stating that he was very arrogant with Microsoft's board, and he even refused to give a formal interview.

Permalink to story.

I should think he did, I find it bizzare that they refused to go into more depth with the windows phone its limiting them massively! I think shareholders take the essence of a company away too much, If I was ever going to make a company it would be 100% private and 100% mine.

Gee..

You mean Ballmer acted like the sociopath he really is in a meeting no doubt...

This is news?

They got some turmoil among the board members just because they want to purchase Nokia for $7.2 billion..

While, Facebook has agreed to buy leading instant messaging platform Whatsapp for a whopping $16-$19 billion without any problem..

They got some turmoil among the board members just because they want to purchase Nokia for $7.2 billion...
Just think how much s***, you'd have to listen to from your "wife"< (figuratively speaking), if you decided to spend 7.2 billion dollars, on a company that makes toy telephones...:eek:

Evil_Ballmer3.jpg

I can see why Balmer was so animate about acquiring Nokia, there getting a steal of a deal on a company that makes really nice phones. Hardware has made them money(aka xbox) the problem from there boards point of view (and that of a investor as well) is that hardware is a longer and usually more costly way to make money, there use to dumb some money into a software project and get your profit much quicker, but after the intial investment in hardware and software (games) of the original xbox and xbox 360, Microsoft has made great money off there xbox line, the surface and surface pro were nice tablets and the second generation built on the good from the first and is selling well (prob from a good advertising push). Windows phone is a nice mobile OS and if Microsoft has control over the hardware as well they can push it into the market even better then Nokia did, no chance of them getting a huge slice of the pie at this point but if Windows phone could eventually get 15-20% of the cellphone market that not bad at all considering the competition in that area(apple will be 15-20% as well here in the next 2-4 years). Owning that hardware allows your to push out good software for that hardware, look at how well apple did with that.

"Just think how much s***, you'd have to listen to from your "wife"< (figuratively speaking), if you decided to spend 7.2 billion dollars, on a company that makes toy telephones...:eek:

..then, we can imagine what will happen to Zuckerberg at his home after he decided to buy WhatsApp for $19 billion :D

...[ ]......then, we can imagine what will happen to Zuckerberg at his home after he decided to buy WhatsApp for $19 billion :D
So he finally met somebody then? I thought Facebook has been inflicted on us out of "poor" Mark's, loneliness and desperation...:D

As for, "What's App", it does seem prudent to buy out the competition. Especially if you're going to stop letting people advertise illegal firearms and murder for hire on your site..

"If I was ever going to make a company it would be 100% private and 100% mine."

So you must have at least a few hundred thousand bucks laying around? Because once you need money people are going to want an incentive to give it to you. Giving up a (hopefully small) portion of your business/company is really the only way to do it. UNLESS your corporation is ALREADY making money you'll have no royalties to give them. That means all you have to offer, stating out, is a portion of your company itself... unless, of course, you already had cash to begin with.

And now you know how easy it is to lose a company before it even starts. Don't even get me started on setbacks.

Lol seriously you guys must keep a database of "Steve Ballmer looking ridiculous" pics for M$ articles.
You at least have to consider there may not be many stock pictures of him looking anything but ridiculous.

Why would you even want them?

Jobs knew what he was talking about and got a helluva lot right. Ballmer made a hash of countless decisions.
I keep telling you guys, Gates left Ballmer in charge, with the sole purpose of making himself good. That's one Gates got right!

Oh and BTW, Bill Gates is back to being the richest man in the world, again).

Back