Steve Jobs action figure is eerily realistic and unlicensed

Rick

Staff

Chinese toy manufacturer, In Icons, has unveiled a remarkably striking "action" figure which will both pay homage to and attempt to cash-in on the legendary Apple CEO. According to In Icons, their goal is to "honor the American icon and great visionary Steve Jobs". Now you can re-enact all of those heart stopping keynote moments from the comfort of your own home.

So detailed it is creepy, the 1:6 replica of Jobs sports blue jeans complete with black leather belt, New Balance shoes and an oddly familiar black turtle neck. Also included are two pairs of glasses, an apple, three pairs of hands and socks. Sorry folks: iMac, iPad and iPhone miniatures sold separately.

If that were not enough, bundled with the figurine is a backdrop lovingly printed with the iconic phrase "One more thing..." Simply seat Jobs onto the included stool and stage an poignant discussion with the tech visionary any time you please. 

Despite this particular plastic homage displaying the most uncanny semblance of Jobs to date, previous unsanctioned action figures bearing his likeness have been mercilessly crushed by Apple. This one may meet a similar fate as the doll appears to also be unlicensed. There is no question that both Apple and the Jobs Estate remain very protective of the iconic CEO's image, even posthumously.

While the Chinese government has cooperated with Western companies many times to stamp out past intellectual property violations, their resolve is not always judicious. Also, despite periodic crack downs on pirated software and products in China, it continues to be a well-known hot bed for such gray-market goods.

The action figure is set to be released in February.

Permalink to story.

Oh cool, now steve jobs can battle godzilla and the power rangers for ultimate control of cardboard box city. But wait, theres also steve jobs arch nemesis!! Batman

"While the Chinese government has cooperated with Western companies many times to stamp out past intellectual property violations"

This is an IP violation? I'm curious to find out what law this breaks. Not that it matters. China just gave Chen Xi 10 years in prision for 'inciting subversion through online essays' (and he's not the only one). They were going to appeal, but the guy's wife said the judge ignored everything the defense said anyway, so what's the point.

So anyway... Good luck, Apple.

Be careful. It is likely to sue your other dolls for having 5 fingers.

Now probably no doll can wear black turtleneck cauz Apple may has a patent for it as well.

California... ಠ_ಠ

http://www.klpw.com/content/maker-steve-jobs-action-figure-i-will-not-stop said:
Lawrence Townsend, an attorney with the San Francisco-based intellectual property firm, Owen, Wickersham and Erickson, said that Cheung's action figure is in, "clear violation of the right of publicity."

Rights of publicity is a state-based law that includes the protection of an individual's identity, voice, image, photograph or signature from being used commercially without consent. After a person dies, those rights are usually transferred to that person's family or estate in a successor-in-interest claim.

California, the state where Jobs lived with his family and Apple, Inc., is headquartered, passed the Celebrity Rights Act in 1985, which protects a celebrity's personality rights up to 70 years after his or her death.

Quickly, buy a whole shipment of those so you can kill Jobs in all the ways you would have loved him to have died, I know I will!

milwaukeemike said:
This is an IP violation? I'm curious to find out what law this breaks.
Your image, believe it or not, is treated as your intellectual property. For someone has prominent as Jobs, I imagine this also extends such a violation into Apple's realm too.

There are laws that protect your public identity and privacy, limiting their use without your express permission. State laws typically cover these issues. Character defamation, profiting from an individual's likeness without consent, false representation, etc...

ok, I failed to understand the following issue: Its like the chinese are paying homage to Jobs, but no patent/licence fees? Kind of like you can have our (chinese) respect but not our moneys? Or its like - he is dead anyway - so since the chinese are using the image of a dead man, hoping that somehow Jobs cannot fight back and they can use his image for free? Kind of like he has not our respect (since we the chinese are using his image and he cannot fight back) and he has not our money?

That is kind of creepy in that very uncanny valley way.

Why can't they get it right for real toys. Heck I'd pay 100 bucks for something that really looks like the superhero or cartoon character I like.

OMG... creepy world we live in... wrap it in white and all mac fanboys can have something to gift each other for 200 more years

Back