TechSpot

Steve Jobs action figure is eerily realistic and unlicensed

By Rick
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Chinese toy manufacturer, In Icons, has unveiled a remarkably striking "action" figure which will both pay homage to and attempt to cash-in on the legendary Apple CEO. According to In…

Read the whole story

2. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

Oh cool, now steve jobs can battle godzilla and the power rangers for ultimate control of cardboard box city. But wait, theres also steve jobs arch nemesis!! Batman

3. Pencil necks rejoice!

4. Does it also patronise you how you should be holding it?

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

"While the Chinese government has cooperated with Western companies many times to stamp out past intellectual property violations"

This is an IP violation? I'm curious to find out what law this breaks. Not that it matters. China just gave Chen Xi 10 years in prision for 'inciting subversion through online essays' (and he's not the only one). They were going to appeal, but the guy's wife said the judge ignored everything the defense said anyway, so what's the point.

So anyway... Good luck, Apple.

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

Reminds me of Robot Chicken.

7. Be careful. It is likely to sue your other dolls for having 5 fingers.

8. Now probably no doll can wear black turtleneck cauz Apple may has a patent for it as well.

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

California... ಠ_ಠ

10. Quickly, buy a whole shipment of those so you can kill Jobs in all the ways you would have loved him to have died, I know I will!

11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

Your image, believe it or not, is treated as your intellectual property. For someone has prominent as Jobs, I imagine this also extends such a violation into Apple's realm too.

There are laws that protect your public identity and privacy, limiting their use without your express permission. State laws typically cover these issues. Character defamation, profiting from an individual's likeness without consent, false representation, etc...

12. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

For $100/toy they can keep it.

13. ok, I failed to understand the following issue: Its like the chinese are paying homage to Jobs, but no patent/licence fees? Kind of like you can have our (chinese) respect but not our moneys? Or its like - he is dead anyway - so since the chinese are using the image of a dead man, hoping that somehow Jobs cannot fight back and they can use his image for free? Kind of like he has not our respect (since we the chinese are using his image and he cannot fight back) and he has not our money?

14. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

That is kind of creepy in that very uncanny valley way.

Why can't they get it right for real toys. Heck I'd pay 100 bucks for something that really looks like the superhero or cartoon character I like.

15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

OMG... creepy world we live in... wrap it in white and all mac fanboys can have something to gift each other for 200 more years

16. "For $100/toy they can keep it."

Includes authentic overpricing.

17. lol, authentic overpricing... love it

18. lol. that was funny, and true!