Steve Jobs: The Tech Icon, A Timeline

By Julio Franco
Oct 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 477   +48

The 1st Apple PC went for 666, makes a lot of sense.
  2. i wonder what kind of a deal he (they) had with the devil :p
  3. @ Julio totally support ya...........Greedy innovator dies the World holds its breath.
    But when the person who wrote (or helped in) all known computing language dies not even a whisper is heard.
  4. Panda218

Panda218 Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +13

I know right! RIP Dennis Ritchie
  5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Gotta agree - tired of hearing about Jobs. He was a greedy bastard who know how to make money (and I don't mean that in a negative way at all! I'm a greedy bastard too). Now on with our lives.

RIP Dennis Ritchie :(
  6. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 393   +101

Why all the hate for Steve Jobs? It's widely known that people in society who do all the "dirty work" or "hard work" never really get praised for it. That's just how it is. Do you honestly think the average person would know who Dennis Ritchie is?

Steve Jobs = hundreds of millions knew who he was. (arguably a celebrity)
    Dennis Ritchie = likely less than millions knew who he was

So when Dennis died how do you expect hundreds of millions of people that don't know who he is, to give him the praise he has earned? Steve Jobs was a public figure, Dennis was not. If you want to complain so much, go send emails to all the major tech blogs requesting articles that cover Dennis Ritchie.

And no, I'm not discrediting Dennis Ritchie or being negative about him, I'm just giving you the reality of why Steve Jobs gets a lot of public praise and Dennis isn't getting the same.

Anyways, R.I.P. Steve and Dennis. They both contributed more to the tech industry than anyone reading this post ever will.
  7. Steve Jobs was still insignificant in the grand scheme of things though, and people are entitled to express that just as much as the naive ****** are allowed to express their superficial mourning. At the end of the day nothing Apple has ever made is that important compared to all the work that goes on in medicine research, sciences, engineering, etc.

Improved pharmaceuticals, gene therapy, civil engineering works, etc. all have far more impact on people's lives, especially long term, than consumer gadgets.
  8. If it wasn't for Jobs and Woz pushing chip manufactures to develop more powerful products, we wouldn't have the computers we have today. You would still be on 64 k of ram. I think most of the Jobs is greedy posts are from young guys, that know nothing. And I mean know nothing, and then are jealous if someone other than them is successful. Do us all a favor don't go away mad, just go away.
  9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,520   +311

Maybe it's our bad for posting this well deserved recap a week after Steve Jobs passed (and all media outlets abused the story, we did not). Maybe it's that a large portion of TechSpot readers simply dislike Apple practices and their products (they had it coming when they insulted us 'PCs').

But at the end of the day, it's hard not to recognize Steve Jobs' accomplishments. Without comparing his work to the work of others and regardless of the unpopular decisions he may have taken during his very scrutinized life. As the head of Apple, Steve Jobs contributed to shape today's PC industry, smartphones, tablets, music, digital distribution, among others.

For that we pay tribute to Steve.
  10. Oh, cancer research is done on an abbacus, or a commodore 64? They do research on computers that would have never been as powerful as they are today if Woz and Jobs wouldn't have pushed Intel, and AMD to create better faster products. Oh, btw remember IBM? Yea, they told Gates, Allen, and Ballmer that "PC's" would never catch on. But somehow Jobs, Woz, and Gates knew they would... so give credit where credit is due and do some homework.

11. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Seriously, I can't understand the hate. Are you that much of a Linux and Microsoft fanboy that you are incapable of recognizing the accomplishments of their competitors? I mean, yes, Jobs was a greedy bastard and an *******, but I don't see you creating a multi-billion dollar company in your garage...I don't see you leading technology into a new age. Seriously, some of y'all need to take off your blind folds and set aside your fanboyism for just a moment to give credit where credit is due.
  12. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Wozniak claims "I just liked repeating numbers" and rather than make it $600 or $699, he pushed for $666... It's kind of hard to imagine Wozniak not noticing the significance of that number though. :)

Yep, that's the one.

Regardless of what you thought of Jobs, he's was a pivotal figure in the birth of the PC (Apple)... 3D CGI movies (Pixar)... computers with colors (Everything was beige before Apple G3 desktops/iMacs)... mainstream digital music (Music industry has fought digital music every step of the way, but Apple made it work)... phones that have actually become useful (the iPhone was ambitious in a market that should have touchscreens a looooong time ago and didn't), all-purpose tools.

It isn't that those things wouldn't have eventually happened, but it may have come later and perhaps quite differently.
  13. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I don't think its necessarily that we, if I may speak for others, don't appreciate Jobs' accomplishments, but this constant hagiography hailing him as a genius and a person who made the world a better place is getting annoying.

We don't forget there are two Apples. The old school Apple and the iNoun Apple. The first iteration of the company did push the envelope in terms of technology. The second iteration was a marketing machine that took existing technology and packaged and sold it to the masses.

He deserves a lot of credit for his marketing skills and his ability to capture the technological zeitgeist, but we also understand that the technology that he took was already there, invented by others. Sure, he was able to package it all into a great product, but there is this constant assumption that if it wasn't for Jobs we'd all be running around with Motorola brick phones. But that is not the case. He was a great salesman, and he was so driven that he chose to essentially sacrifice his life in order to set a legacy for himself and his company.

Bill Gates is still held by pretty low esteem by most people as being some kind of evil monopolist, but he quietly is helping millions of people around the world for whom clean water is far more important than the iPhone that they will never own.
  14. Uvindu

Uvindu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

Cool, I just found out about this guy called Dennis Ritchie who:
    "was an American computer scientist notable for developing C and for having influence on other programming languages, as well as operating systems such as Multics and UNIX"

- Just in case there are others as clueless as me...

Oh, and he died...

RIP Dennis Ritchie (Even though I only found out about him like 3.5 mins ago...)
  15. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 878   +84

Does the timeline remind anyone else of Microsoft's Metro UI?
  16. rculver9056

rculver9056 Newcomer, in training Posts: 28   +7

Very, very well said.
    People just don't know how much Bill Gates does to help away from the media / public
  17. Steve Jobs should be remembered as one who saw a way to make designs and devices, that already existed, pivotal to those that didn't realize how to put them to good use. He streamlined some functions and made them identifiable to the masses.
    As an inventor, he reached a plateau in his youth. Later, he insisted on clean and simple designs that others built. It might be said that this may have happened anyway, but hindsight is always 20-20. He was the public face for innovation at a company he was tied to for life. Both he and the company prospered as a result. Greed or not is beside the point. How many people have had an effect of life as big as his?
    Once he got a commitment he sold it with all of his heart and probably paid for it with his life. Apple's short term catch phrase should be "Innovation in the Jobs tradition". That is the major contribution I see him as making and that's not trivial.
  18. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Well aren't people more publicly aware of Jobs then Ritchie?
  19. Apple did some good things but it's not like they invented the wheel or anything.

The world would be just fine without their overpriced products.
  20. olibenu

olibenu Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

Who designed that last image with jobs profile as the apple bite?
  21. That's just naive. The technology would've pushed forward regardless. It's what technology does. Would we have the exact same computers? Probably not, but something equivalent.
  22. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

I prefer to think of him as one of the people who brought us Toy Story, and helped make Pixar what it is today. That way I remember him for the things I liked about him.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.