Steve Wozniak believes Apple should create an Android phone

Scorpus

Staff member

According to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Apple should create a smartphone that runs Android. In an interview with Wired, Wozniak stated that "there’s nothing that would keep Apple out of the Android market as a secondary phone market," believing the company could compete vey well with other Android manufacturers.

"People like the precious looks of stylings and manufacturing that we do in our product compared to the other Android offerings. We could play in two arenas at the same time", he went on to say.

Wozniak is no longer involved with the day-to-day operations at Apple, so while his thoughts on an Android-powered smartphone are interesting, it's very unlikely it will ever happen. If Apple were to enter another smartphone market, possibly at the low-end, it would almost certainly run iOS like all other iPhones.

Despite his thoughts on wanting Android on an Apple smartphone, Wozniak believes Apple is still at the forefront of phone development. In his eyes, Apple is still an innovative company, especially as it doesn't simply cram new features into each iPhone and iOS revision. “You pick up a Samsung phone and say smile and it takes a picture, but how much innovation is that? That’s just throwing in a lot of features.”

Wozniak also has interesting thoughts on an Apple TV or smartwatch, the film 'Her', and Moore's Law, so you should head over to Wired to read the full interview.

Permalink to story.

"“You pick up a Samsung phone and say smile and it takes a picture, but how much innovation is that?"

-a lot more innovation than apple ;-)
As you can see from my avatar I'm no Apple fan but lets face it, when was the last time you saw ANY useful innovations in smartphones? If you're still using an old Galaxy S2, you're no worse off than somebody who uses an S4.as far as I'm concerned.

And yet another site does a copy-and-paste job with total misinformation. At no point does Wozniak say that Apple should create an Android device. You might try actually READING the articles you link to once in a while.

Apple should create an android phone --> bad business, I guess

I have and use both ecosystems daily. My take is IOS is just simply "better". Both are great, but IOS just has too many advantages that are unique to them that just can't be matched by Android. I wouldn't care so much about if there was an Android version of iPhone, BUT would love it if IOS came on the popular handsets like the NOTE 2, nexus line, Galaxy etc.

"“You pick up a Samsung phone and say smile and it takes a picture, but how much innovation is that?"

As you can see from my avatar I'm no Apple fan but lets face it, when was the last time you saw ANY useful innovations in smartphones? If you're still using an old Galaxy S2, you're no worse off than somebody who uses an S4.as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed,the only difference I can see between my old S2,which I replaced in December with my current S4 is that there is a lot of extra bloatware.
Oh and a stupid piece of software called Knox.

I'm not sure if this would be smart, considering many people I know only buy apple products because of iOS and only iOS.
Trying to take on brands like Galaxy and Nexus on Android might do more harm than good.

I think we've just came to a point where smart phones have hit a wall of innovation. Outside of cleaning the house and making people sandwiches, what else can they make smart phones do that will "Wow" everyone again. Revolutions don't happen all the time, so we should be content with evolution, which is what we are seeing.

“You pick up a Samsung phone and say smile and it takes a picture, but how much innovation is that? That’s just throwing in a lot of features.”

Ohh I'm sorry does your iphone do something different and more innovative than that? I cant see that it does or does it not take pictures because "thats just throwing in a lot of features and its not innovative."

Steve wozniak is just like any other hipster before him he thinks he knows things when in fact he is just a rich turd that knows nothing, unless taking pictures on the iphone is more innovative than taking pictures on a samsung...

b59dce481f8fa8a3cf581f76d9e13d89

psycros said:
And yet another site does a copy-and-paste job with total misinformation. At no point does Wozniak say that Apple should create an Android device. You might try actually READING the articles you link to once in a while.

Dear Apple Fanboy,

I could understand if TechSpot changed the title to mislead people...but...
The title of the Wired Interview is :
Steve Wozniak: Apple Should Make an Android Phone

Eh, TS tries their best dude. Being a journalist aint easy.

I would have a iPhone if I didn't have to use iTunes. until that crap software dies I will use android.

Then that would be a death of ios since many actually hate it, so android inside iphone is an another dimension for hardcore apple lovers who still refuse move away from their god gifted brand named apple.

@wastedkill

You may not know or understand what innovation means. Here: Innovation is the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.

Sure Android is getting better with each new release, but they are so far behind still in terms of overall fit and finish. I extensively use both systems day in and day out. The only thing "innovative" Android does isn't even an Android feature but rather a phone feature... bigger screens.... that's about it.

1) superior video chat to other iDevices via FaceTime vs all other chat programs
2) sending a video file via iMessage to a person outside the country (or even inside) is considered a text message.
3) better security due to the "walled garden"
4) simpler interface with "less is more" ideal
5) Even though smaller screen then competition, for my eyes, I rate it a better screen with richer color.
6) When comparing cross platform apps, the apps on IOS are almost always more polished, smooth, and error free.
7) As mentioned above, a better backup system.
8) More up-to-date with the latest OS offerings directly from Apple, although the Google Nexus devices now follow that quick update roll out
9) Better phone-to-youtube optimization
10) Better phone-to-phone video sending
11) airplay is easier from what I have tried.
13) Printing is so darn simple! Proprietary as it may be, you can always download a tool which will make your USB or even plain network (wired/wireless) printer work with the Bonjour protocol and you can print through iOS without 3rd party software creating extra jumps and loops.
14) Restore all you want! You don't get carrier bundled garbage unlike a hard reset from Samsung, Sony, etc
15) iOS privacy settings are better and more comprehensive
16) Extremely logical auto-correct
17) If you're visually impaired, iOS has better screen-reading and accessibility tools built-in.
18) If you're a developer, xcode! Developing on android is such a nightmare (so I have been told)

"You may not know or understand what innovation means. Here: Innovation is the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs."

..oh my god, you teach someone about 'innovation' but all you can do is just simply take the definition from wikipedia? How innovative!! okay.. I can see you're blabbering many many aspects (yeah 18 points) that apple is better than android, but can we call ALL of that as 'innovation'? example: Better phone-to-youtube optimization or Better phone-to-phone video sending, is that innovation or we simply called that as improvement? Next time, learn more about the definition of 'innovation' before you preaching others

IMHO, both iOS and android has its advantages and disadvantages.. so, just pick a phone with OS that fit with your preference..

@Guest Apple's innovation pretty much stops at device and UI-design. That's not a bad thing though, as most companies lack even that. However the list you made is full of software optimization. Call it what you want, but it's not innovation.

I've always liked the UI on Apple's OS's as they are based on simplicity and user friendliness. Fingerprint scanning was a nice addition, but it isn't too secure. It will be nice to see what the next iOS will bring to the ecosystem. I'm not too excited about the rumored health and fitness -theme though.

As for software development, iOS still has a clear lead, although the UI design is set by Apple, possibly even because of it. Since iOS is more popular than Android, it's also more profitable. I'm not a developer myself, but I'm guessing most people would opt for the ecosystem that's paying you more.

I do miss the days when Apple would shamelessly present old technologies as their own at press conferences and Steve Jobs going to interviews quoting Picasso, saying: "Good artists copy;great artists steal." Those truly were the times...

As for the Woz's interview, he's well aware of the fact that Apple isn't going to make an Android phone. He merely remarked on the fact that they could do it better than the competition IF they wanted to make one. The funny thing is, he's probably right.

The mobile market boom will probably crumble due to lack of innovation unless manufacturers come up with fresh ideas, as increasing screen size and resolution will only cut it for a couple of years.

I guess I'm more interested of the wearable side. Smart watch concepts show some promise, and it will be very interesting to see if Apple (and others) can deliver it to the public.

Wozniak maybe a genius, but not in business.. How Apple generate revenue/profits aren't just from their iphone sales, but it also from their apps store

Back