Steve Wozniak debunks Apple's fabled garage start

By Shawn Knight
Dec 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Urban legends are a dime a dozen in the tech industry. One classic example claims that in 1981, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates proclaimed that 640 kilobytes of memory should be enough for anybody (a statement that he has since denied).

Read more
  2. Jam Jack

Jam Jack TS Rookie Posts: 20   +6

Right so you have told us that Apple didn't start in a garage.. Shouldn't you kinda tell us afterwards how it actually started then lol
  3. Started in the shed in the garden. It's only a half myth
    ArjunDhanak212 likes this.
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

Read: Accidental empires by Robert Cringely. Really good book on how the PC industry got started. He later made a documentary on PBS called "Triumph of the nerds", which is really good also.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I can answer that. It started with an idea. Everything starts with an idea. Ok not everything, your car doesn't start with an idea otherwise it would be starting all the time...
    Ignore me, I'm going away now... :D
    Jam Jack likes this.
  6. What they should have explained is why this is a story, and who actually cares.
    Jam Jack and mizkitty like this.
  7. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +10

They started off making long distance phone service hacking boxes, Woz can't really tell the detailed story without incriminating himself.
  8. Adam1

Adam1 TS Rookie Posts: 28

He did, he said it started in the house because they had no money, it just wasn't built ,designed, prototyped in the garage.
  9. ArjunDhanak212

ArjunDhanak212 TS Member Posts: 23

If this is true and Apple didn't start at Jobs' garage maybe they thought of making it a story that everyone would be inspired by and would talk about - making Apple and Jobs and Wozniak famous.
    just my thought..