Steve - XP Loser @ moment - WE HAVE A BOOT OF SORTS. YESSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hubbard

Hi ya people,

Ok - i have got it bootable (98 bootdisk) but. . .even though it will read the cd drive (dir etc etc) it will not boot. It says ''Cant run under dos'' or words to that effect. I have changed the boot order in BIOS so many times but still no joy.

I tried to install an OEM version of win 95 & it installed but. . . came up with ''windows protection error'' or something - ''you need to restart your computer'' - when it was starting for the first time. I think therefore the cd drive IS working - perhaps i'm carrying out a procedure wrong or something.

CAN I RUN FDISK / FORMAT ETC FROM THE CD IF I CHANGE TO DRIVE E:? I'm sure that formatting it into FAT16 is no good for it. So close yet do far. I have a 2000 startup disk which i think has FORMAT & FDISK on it. Will that give me the correct FAT system i need?

As always - well well appreciated, Steve :hotbounce

Can you be a bit more specific about WHAT windows version (95, 98, 98SE, 2000, XP) you want to install?
W95 and W98/W98SE can ONLY be installed on your C-drive, wiping out anything that is on there now.
They all need to be formatted in FAT32.
W2K or XP can go anywhere, and can be installed using FAT32 or (preferably) NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back