stickys (FAQs) to their own forum

Tedster

It seems that most overlook the FAQs - perhaps they aren't blatently obvious.... perhaps we should consolidate all of them to one read only forum.

I don`t think it matters where we put them. Some members would still not bother to read them.

If someone comes looking for help with a spyware problem for example, then it makes sense to have the antispyware READ threads in that forum. God knows even though they are there, they still get missed often enough.

If we put them in a separate READ forum or whatever, they`d hardly ever get read.

Regards Howard :)

Surely you don't mean like the new member who obviously knows a little who had a crash problem, that you admonished just a few moments before posting this for not reading your sticky first, which was completely irrelevant to him?

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic49953.html

Anyway, regardless of what prompted you to post, it's an interesting suggestion. Personally, I don't think it's worth doing though, as if nobody reads the stickies and we collate them all into one forum, we'd simply have a forum that nobody uses.

That and the fact that stickies are there for instruction, quick reference, but more importantly, because they refer to common issues for the given forum.

You can see from the numbers though that people do view them, usually when they know they need to, and many people view them just to see if a question has already been answered or to see the rules of the forum.

I hope I didn't inspire this thread with my missing RBS's sentence:
Also, post HJT-logs ONLY in the Security and the Web Forum !!!!
I only read this sticky once, way back when I had just became a member. I followed the procedures, read my own log and was satisfied I had no problems. (BTW, I would read the logs Howard had reviewed and got to see what to look for, at least some of the more common stuff)(nothing like learning from the master!) . I'm sorry I some how missed this rule and I remember one other time when I was deeply into a prob with someone and had him post his HJT log where we were working. I not sure who, but someone removed it and even then I was a little confused as why.

I will go around all the forums and make sure I've not missed another one of these nuggets of posting rules.

I agree with Howard.Most people don`t bother with FAQs.They want their unique question answered uniquely.

BTW Spike that was quite a sentence -
Spike said:
Surely you don't mean like the new member who obviously knows a little who had a crash problem, that you admonished just a few moments before posting this for not reading your sticky first, which was completely irrelevant to him?
but what does it mean ? :)

Kirock said:
I would read the logs Howard had reviewed and got to see what to look for, at least some of the more common stuff

That`s exactly how I learned, only in my case it was by reading RBS`s posts.

Cheers mate.

Regards Howard :)

Peddant said:
BTW Spike that was quite a sentence -
but what does it mean ? :)
The only comment I'm making here is "follow that link", and that if you think that sentence was impressive, you should see what I said earlier about DivX/Xvid compatibility :D

Plain English Campaign award here I come!

nah, it just gets a little tiresome repeating the same info over and over and over.....

but in some sections, particularly the CPUs, chipsets, and motherboards forum, they're a little hard to find....

There's a CPU, Chipset and Mobo forum? Ok now I'm just getting tired. :)

Here's a suggest, instead of putting all stickys in a Rules forum, maybe make a sticky titled "Forum Rules" at the top of each forum. If there are a couple of forums where posting rules are important, like HJT and mindumps, then create a sticky with Forum Rules. Make this THE top post.

As an additional note, every time a new user registers he received a welcome email with a link to our general community guidelines which (if read) should give a pretty good feeling of what is acceptable and what not.

Back