Stiff neck suggestions

TheDreams

I have been having problems the past couple of weeks with a stiff neck over the weekends when I game like 12-16 hours a day. Anyone have any suggestions to what you do/would do? Besides stop gaming :p

Lol.

Use a heating pad once the damage is done. Hit pause and get up every hour for a few minutes, hell, grab a beer (or soda) at least drinking that will force you to move your neck around some.

Oxicodone maybe?

Well like they say, "no pain, no game"...:p Besides, if you get hooked on the oxi, it will only be a secondary addiction at most.

Perhaps, should you die tragically from a synthetic opiate overdose, your passing will be lamented, (at least for 15 minutes, at most), an a half dozen obscure gamer's forums. I doubt it would make "Access Hollywood". (Which I don't bother watching anyway, even if it did).

This question was a bit ambiguous to me. Were you bragging, or complaining?
Lol.
...[ ].... Hit pause and get up every hour for a few minutes, hell, grab a beer (or soda) at least drinking that will force you to move your neck around some.
The most hard core of the hard core gamers don't get up at all. They wear diapers. Or so it was on an episode of "C.S.I." I watched.

I saw that on OTA TV, so who the hell knows if it's true or not. After all, you can only be certain that something is true, if it's on the internet...:D

Exercise during the week. Strengthen your back/shoulders/neck. It'll do wonders for supporting your head for lengthy amounts of time. Mostly just take a quick break each hour and stretch. The human body is not designed to be sedentary for long periods of time.

I do cross country during the week and on saturday mornings
This question was a bit ambiguous to me. Were you bragging, or complaining?

Bragging that my neck hurts? o.0

Use a heating pad once the damage is done. Hit pause and get up every hour for a few minutes, hell, grab a beer (or soda) at least drinking that will force you to move your neck around some.

I drink a couple cups of water around every 1 hour(league of legend games) so I am hydrated.

Posture is everything - - read up on ergonomic workstation setup.
The keyboard and chair height matter, arms should be at right angles.

Poor posture leads directly to muscle strain

I have been having problems the past couple of weeks with a stiff neck over the weekends when I game like 12-16 hours a day. Anyone have any suggestions to what you do/would do? Besides stop gaming :p

I'd go for a nice massage. :) If your not averse to it, then maybe some mild, over-the-counter pain killer or muscle relaxant?

Exercise during the week. Strengthen your back/shoulders/neck. It'll do wonders for supporting your head for lengthy amounts of time. Mostly just take a quick break each hour and stretch. The human body is not designed to be sedentary for long periods of time.

I'd say this is excellent advice. The right kind of exercise will not only strengthen your back, shoulders and neck, it will also help to loosen up your muscles and relax that stiff neck.

I don't game 12-16 hours a day, but I am in front of a computer about that much. As a few have already mentioned, exercise is a great way to alleviate the problem. Specifically, I'd focus on the areas Ranger12 mentioned. However, posture is everything with screen-related neck problems. Jump on Google (or ask your doctor) and you should be able to find plenty of information on how to correctly sit. I had similar issues for years and as soon as I addressed my posture issues: no more neck pains.

Whoa, how do you tag people like that in posts!?

Also, running is good, but it won't strengthen your upper upper body. For that you need some strength training! woot!

My posture reminds me of hunchback of notre dame lol, not really but I have hunched shoulders from not holding them up properly.

I hear ya. I was born tall and lanky so I sometimes look like a hunched over praying mantis at my desk... :S

Back