TechSpot

Still getting BSOD after replacing RAM

By michaelra
May 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I was being pointed that my BSODs were caused by a faulty ram on another thread.

I decided to just buy new RAMs but even then, I still experience 2 BSODs so far (in 2 days) so I'm wondering whether you can have a look at the last two minidump files (attached) after using the new RAM to find out why

I've also attached the old RAM's BSOD minidump if you need to compare. Should I just reformat my Windows? It might be it?

Appreciate the help! Wish I can read these minidumps myself and understand them.

Attached Files:

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

OK, the dumps with the new RAM are both F4 a critical object termination, this can have more than one cause. It will need a process of elimination to find the problem but I would start by running diagnostics on the hard drive, follow this guide below.

When did the problems start and did it coincide with any changes to your system, downloads, new software, new anti virus, anything that you have altered.

3. michaelra

michaelra Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thanks Mark, I'll do the scan later.
    I can't tell - as I'm a reviewer, I often install/uninstall software (antivirus, system cleaner, etc) or webcam/keyboard/mouse drivers....
    I was thinking if it's a driver/software problem then you can find that out from the minidump. I guess it's not that easy

If scan looks okay, I'll just do a reformat and try again from there. If harddrive is okay and a fresh install still gives BSOD, then it may be the motherboard, I guess?
  4. Mark56

If you have been running various system cleaners you may have damaged the registry.

Most anti virus software have uninstall tools available on there sites. These should always be used to ensure all traces are removed. Remnants of anti virus software still on your system can cause conflicts and result in a BSOD.

You could simply run a repair install from the OS disc which will leave all your existing software and files intact. It must be at the same service pack level (or higher) than what you have installed or you will need to uninstall the service packs first.

The BSOD's I analysed would suggest something is causing a conflict rather than just a bad driver.

If you have no important files on your system then a clean install would probably be the quickest solution.

You can run Driver Verifier to check the drivers as follows.

5. michaelra

Tried checking the hard drive. I stopped it at 50% (took a while!) and decided to reformat/reinstall. Seems okay so far - 3 days straight without BSOD.

Thanks for the help so far
  6. Mark56

Hard drive scans can take a long time (especially on a big drive) and do appear to have stopped even though they are still running.

Anyway, sounds like the going is good. Having done a fair bit of installing and uninstalling I would say thee is a very good chance that remnants of old software was causing a conflict. If you continue to frequently do this then you may benefit from software like CCleaner which will clean out all the leftovers. Some say registry cleaners are liable to damage the registry but I have myself just started to use the latest version of CCleaner and so far it has only improved my PC's performance so may be this particular cleaner has got better.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Click on either link just below "Version 3.07.1457" at the bottom of the "At Home" box.
  7. michaelra

Yeah I used CCleaner but recently been reviewing the TuneUp Utilities and System Mechanic releases (both are good software).

Cheers
  8. michaelra

GRRRRRRRRRRR the Blue screen is back! Do you think you can have a look again (for the last time) at the minidump? (attached)

Was running fine until I added a network card driver, webcam driver, and installing Peer Block yesterday. Maybe it can come up in the minidump?

Attached Files:

9. Mark56

This minidump clearly states memory corruption. Follow this guide to clean and reseat the memory. You could just do a few passes with memtest with all the sticks fitted, if it finds a fault then run it on one stick at a time to isolate the faulty stick. If the test comes up clear then run the PC on one stick at a time. I appreciate you have new memory but even new sticks can be faulty, it can also be a fault in the RAM slot or the associated circuitry on the motherboard. A long successfull run on one stick can then be followed by trying the stick in different slots to test if the slot has a fault. You could also try blowing out the slots with a can of compressed air (do not use a vacumm cleaner).

10. michaelra

Dang.. memory corruption again? You remember that I have already run them (from the other thread) for 8 hours straight (individually) for 28 passes with no error

I guess this is running in circles as other BSOD files will then show inconsistencies in drivers conflict, etc etc..

I'll try a few things then..thanks
  11. Mark56

I had forgotten about that.

That was with Memtest, as I have pointed out it will only find major faults and is likely to miss the minor ones. You need to run the PC (not the test) on one stick at a time to try and isolate which stick or which slot is causing the problem. I suspect you have a fault in one of the slots or the associated circuitry on the mobo. Follow my cleaning suggestions with the rubber and compressed air as that may help. It only needs a small spot of oxidisation on one contact and a fault will occur. Also to clean oxidisation from the slots push the sticks in and out several times to clean the slot contacts.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.