Still learning how to reply to a post and follow threads.

GRich

I'm new to techspot and found myself disoriented to how replies are organized. I wish there was a better way to know if I'm doing it right as well as keeping tabs to which posts I have replied to.
On a separate note, I have had two replies deleted because I supposedly made a duplicate reply. However, I'm usually very good at keeping each remark original and fresh. I'm concerned that the way a reply is handled may be causing unintended confusion. For instance, I noticed that when I reply, a copy of the thread is placed above comment for which to see who I am replying to. After posting my reply, if I add another comment as an addendum, then I have concerns on whether to reply to the original comment or reply to my reply. My concern here is if I'm using transitional phrases to link my comments, do I have to add additional comments to prevent losing my reader. I also noticed that I replied to a comment specific to one person and received an answer out of context by someone else. Additionally, I tried to find help with replying to comments on techspot and found the thread no longer available.

I'm new to techspot and found myself disoriented to how replies are organized. I wish there was a better way to know if I'm doing it right as well as keeping tabs to which posts I have replied to.
First we need to determine if you're working in the forum mode, and not off the "front page". I'm guessing you do use the forum, but you still need to reassure us that's the case.

As far as, "keeping track of threads you've replied to" goes, in the forum mode your screen name will be in the upper right hand corner, hovering the mouse cursor over your name will show you what the heck is going on with the thread(s) in which you're participating. Somebody replied, somebody "liked" your post, somebody quoted your post, your post was removed for cause, it's all there.

But, this forum software is different from the much more common "vBulletin", which every forum dweller is familiar with.

Additionally, Techspot has a specific quirk which is, after a thread has run it's course in the "News" sub-forum, they are moved to the topically appropriate sub-forum. In other words, "a Windows news story", having run its course, will be moved to Windows sub-forum. (Obviously this only applies to threads which started in News, and no one other than staff can start a thread in "News")

Again, hovering the mouse over your name, not only tells you what's happened with the thread, but it also gives you an active link to the thread. Click the link, and you're there.

So, click on "Forums" in the header bar, and you will be linked to page with an index of all the topics (sub-forums) available. It can't hurt for you to take some time and study them.

On a separate note, I have had two replies deleted because I supposedly made a duplicate reply. However, I'm usually very good at keeping each remark original and fresh. I'm concerned that the way a reply is handled may be causing unintended confusion.
Basically, I find the only appropriate reason to make "serial posts", it to separate your reply to two (or more) different members. Note that I mean specifically you're quoting two different people, with responses which have very little relationship to one another.

If there's some commonality between what different posters have said, and you're making similar responses to the members, quoting and responding to them both in the same post is appropriate and accepted. In this situation, you're basically "inviting people into a three ( or more) way, conversation. So again, in this situation, quoting more than one member in a single reply, is preferred.

On the other hand, if two members are arguing, and you want to agree with one, while disagreeing with the other, separate serial posts probably makes more sense..

For instance, I noticed that when I reply, a copy of the thread is placed above comment for which to see who I am replying to. After posting my reply, if I add another comment as an addendum, then I have concerns on whether to reply to the original comment or reply to my reply.
Posts removed for this reason are simply caused by virtue of you not using the edit button, period.

My concern here is if I'm using transitional phrases to link my comments, do I have to add additional comments to prevent losing my reader.
OK, I'm going to be a bit blunt about this. I don't think your sense of syntax, continuity of thought, or writing skills are sufficiently developed to start worrying about minutia like this as of now. Nobody needs to be an English major to be understood here, but your posts look like rough drafts The train of thought seems a tad disjointed and out of sequence, which is why you're thinking about "transitional phases". Just take more time to think about what you want to say, before you say it.

With that said, I very often edit posts after I put them up, and do so oftentimes with added paragraphs and modified syntax.

There's no harm, no foul in doing so. The email notification of your reply /post goes out as soon as you hit the "post reply" button. When somebody hits the email link to return to the thread, they find something slightly different, or an additional comment. But again, there's "no harm, no foul" there either.

The only exception I can envision to this, and it's one I practice, is to change the syntax as little as possible, if someone has "liked" my post, or if someone has quoted my post. There I try to keep the original text true to the first draft, but will correct spelling, those missing words, and other blunders.

I also noticed that I replied to a comment specific to one person and received an answer out of context by someone else. Additionally, I tried to find help with replying to comments on techspot and found the thread no longer available.
Well, that was me. the thread is still available. I believe I cleared up any questions you had.

Instead of reading my reply, you turned around and re-quoted my same earlier post, and asked the same question again.
The thread is still available, the link to it is available exactly where I've described twice so far. If that's not enough, here's the link: https://www.techspot.com/community/...ial-battery-system.230836/page-2#post-1572283 And BTW, the thread is still in news. And in this case, your duplicate post does need to be removed

Last edited:
Any suggestions on handling incomplete replies when you realize you have ran out of time and want to finish addressing each point when you have more time?

Any suggestions on handling incomplete replies when you realize you have ran out of time and want to finish addressing each point when you have more time?
Actually yeah. Just use the edit button.

After our new software was installed, the staff put a time limit, (2 hours IIRC), on editing a post. Myself, along with others, lobbied vigorously to have that limit removed, and the feature added to enable us to remove our own posts. And, (again IMHO), the forum is a much nicer place to hangout and convey your thoughts on a topic, since that happened.

Like I said, the notification email goes out the minute you hit, "reply". I don't have a problem following an email link and finding the content has changed a bit.

If you're the last poster to the thread, you can always announce the new text by simply prefacing it with, "EDIT".

The guide in my signature, while written 10+ years ago, is still relevant. I've edited it a few times since the original writing, but it still holds mostly true.

Part 2 of that post directly deals with replying.

Back