STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMc

Hi

I am getting the above error on my HP Pavillion laptop.
It has been running fine for years, nothing installed recently but this has suddenly happened.

I have looked at the other threads on this issue but none seem to match my problems. I have run the on board HP diagnostics (HDD, memory, graphics, PCI bus etc.) and everything passes with no errors.

I tried repairing XP Pro by booting from CD and using the 'r' option but I just get the above error. It does however recognise the OS installation as C:\WINDOWS.

I can boot the system from a floppy to the A: prompt. Typing C: and hitting Enter results in an 'Invalid drive specification' message. Although HDD diagnostics pass without error.

With a normal boot I get a message that a file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Any attempts to do anything else as described above results in the PAGE_FAULT error.

If it were not a laptop, I would slave my HDD on another machine and get the data off but you can't do that with a laptop HDD, can you?

I would very much appreciate any advice on this problem.

Steve

Have you tried going to a restore point back to before the start of your Stop Error? That was the fix that worked for me to the same "Page Fault to non-paged area" error. It did it for me and no problems since. Best to you...

What will produce the minidumps?

I can't get past the A: prompt when booting from a floppy...

When I try a normal boot I just get a black screen with message that a file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I cannot get into windows to do any kind of restore. I can boot from the Windows CD but can't run the 'r' option.

Steve

You say, "I cannot get into windows to do any kind of restore."

Can you boot in safe mode where then you will be given the option of doing a system restore or boot into safe mode. Pick the option for a system restore and go from there. Best to you...

I don't see any option to boot in safe mode...

Ok I need to use F8.
No, I can't boot into Safe mode or any of the other options...
I get the file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

How do I get minidumps?

Steve

SteveMc said:
I I would slave my HDD on another machine and get the data off but you can't do that with a laptop HDD, can you?
Yes you can !

Use a 2.5 ins USB enclosure, approx $ 15 or a laptop/desktop IDE adapter,$ 10

The config/system error has three possible solutions

1.Boot in to the Recovery console on the XP CD

2.Use Barts`s PE CD to repair system files and copy off your personal files
( if you want).A Knoppix CD (version 5 or higher) can also be used.

3.Remove the Hard Drive and attach it to another computer,either in a USB
enclosure or as a slave drive internally.Then carry out the repair/backup

See HERE for most of the details fro the above.

You say, "I don't see any option to boot in safe mode...Ok I need to use F8."

Yes, that is right, you need to use F8 to get those options. When you first turn on your computer and before windows begins to load, you need to hold down the F8 and you will get what will look like an old dos window-black screen and with options on how to boot up. Pick the one at the top for safe mode. Then as it starts to boot up you will get a dialog box asking you to boot up or to go to restore point option. Pick the restore point option and you will get the system restore wizard which will walk you through the system restore process. You will probably have a choice of several restore points. Pick 1 from before when your stop error problems began. ALL OF THESE SUGGESTIONS ARE ASSUMING THAT YOU HAVE EITHER XP OR VISTA AS YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM. BEST TO YOU...

PS. By the way, people will be better ablr to help you if you will fill out your system specs info in your profile so we can know what you are using and so we can know what we are dealing with as far as your os, your machine info, etc.

Po`Girl said:
Yes you can !

Use a 2.5 ins USB enclosure, approx $ 15 or a laptop/desktop IDE adapter,$ 10

The config/system error has three possible solutions

1.Boot in to the Recovery console on the XP CD

2.Use Barts`s PE CD to repair system files and copy off your personal files
( if you want).A Knoppix CD (version 5 or higher) can also be used.

3.Remove the Hard Drive and attach it to another computer,either in a USB
enclosure or as a slave drive internally.Then carry out the repair/backup

See HERE for most of the details fro the above.

Ah! That would be useful. I could then get everything off that I need and use the system restore disks. Thanks very much!

I forgot about F8. I haven't used that since Win98!

I can boot from the Win CD but I can't run the 'r' repair option. I just get a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA fault. The same happens if I select the reinstall option.

I can boot from a startup floppy but I cannot cd to my C: drive. It reports Invalid drive specification.

I have run several utilities NTFSReader, TestDisk and it seems that all my files are there. Test disk reports that disk structure is OK and the boot sector is OK too. I have been able to copy some important .xls files onto a floppy.

The onboard HP diagnostics pass all tests on disk, memory etc.

drpepper55 said:
PS. By the way, people will be better ablr to help you if you will fill out your system specs info in your profile so we can know what you are using and so we can know what we are dealing with as far as your os, your machine info, etc.

This is for my laptop a HP Pavillion 1210 running XP Pro SP2. I've had it 6 years and never had a problem with it. The problem seemed to happen after a wireless network card was pulled out of the slot while viewing a web page...

If I can get the fiels off using a hub or converter then that will do for me. I'll just run the restore disks and hopefully get it working.

Steve

"This is for my laptop a HP Pavillion 1210 running XP Pro SP2. I've had it 6 years and never had a problem with it."

Thanks for the specs...now if you'll enter it in your profile, it will appear every time you post with a problem and people can respond to you with a more informed, educated, and appropriately more accurate reply. If you'll notice on my replies thesre is a 'system specs' tab over on the right side of my thread reply under location: texas. If you hover with your mouse over the tab amd click, it will show I have a dell cpxj650 laptop with 512meg sdram with xp, etc. I too have had my laptop awhile and it serves my purpose quite well including running Autocad, both R14 and 2006. Since it has only a 10gig internal hard drive, I have a usb 4 port hub with 2-external hard drives connected, a 160gig and a 500gig. Most of my data and a ghost copy of my machines os and configuration info is kept in my 500gig as insurance against a crash or other major catastrophe type situations. That type of setup is what it appears Po' girl is suggesting to you. It is a very good suggestion for you once you get your current problem resolved, which I still suggest that you can fix with a system restore point fix to get you back running. Hope so. It worked quite well for me. Best to you...

SteveMc said:
I forgot about F8. I haven't used that since Win98!

I can boot from the Win CD but I can't run the 'r' repair option. I just get a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA fault. The same happens if I select the reinstall option.

I can boot from a startup floppy but I cannot cd to my C: drive. It reports Invalid drive specification.

I have run several utilities NTFSReader, TestDisk and it seems that all my files are there. Test disk reports that disk structure is OK and the boot sector is OK too. I have been able to copy some important .xls files onto a floppy.

Have you try "chkdsk /p c:" in the rescue console ? You should do it before repairing the system files.

Christophe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back