I have been given a computer that does not work, specs are as followed:

Asus something mobo
AthlonXP 3200+
ATi Radeon 9600PRO
512MB PC3200 RAM
80GB SerialATA HDD (Seagate)
Windows XP SP2
Good PSU

Anyhow, when I start the machine it goes to boot from the HDD and a black screen just stays up forever, before the windows logo popsup,etc. So once Im in windows setup and past the part where its copying files to go into setup, and I've given it the SATA drivers to find the drive, when I press R for repair at the menu, at the bottom it finds the drive and its size, then I click F8 to agree to EULA, and when I do that every time I get kicked back to the BSOD with the STOP error "0x00000051".

I looked it up here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282501

This isnt a Win2000 installation however, so I dont know what to do. I assume an chkdsk in the repair console would do nothing since this is registry related. Is my only choice to slave it in another computer, format the hdd under windows on that computer its slaved on, then go back into windows setup and hope I dont get the registry error because the hdd has been formatted?

Can anyone help me at all? Ive been trying to get this darn computer fixed forever and Im hoping to get it on the ball really soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back