STOP 0x0000008E problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm being plagued by the BSOD on my system ever since I reformatted it. The BSOD will appear when I open a program called MapleStory (an online game) but this doesn't happen at all before the reformat. I have updated every components in my laptop, my Windows XP and my BIOS but the BSOD still appears.

I've tried searching the net for solutions, even sending an email to Microsoft for help but nothing...

My system is

Toshiba Satellite M40
Pentium M 1.73GHz
1 GB RAM
80GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600
using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

I've scanned my laptop numerous times with Spybot, Lavasoft Ad-aware, SpyDefense, Anti-Vir program for any unwanted programs but my laptop is clean.

I'm totally stumped at what is causing this problem. Hope someone can help as this problem has been plaguing me for days and close to weeks.

Thanks once again. :)

Attachments

• Mini073106-01.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 19
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidump crashes at khips.sys. This is part of your Kerio firewall.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the programme. Also, check for any updated versions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your help and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalled the firewall with the latest version but the BSOD problem still persist and this time round the error exceptions are different.

The BSOD is getting on my nerves as I never have this problem until after I reformatted my laptop.

I've included another two recent mini-dumps after the uninstallation/re-installation of the firewall (the firewall installed without a hitch)
I tried to take a look at the mini-dump files but I can't seem to figure out which is/are the culprit/s.

Attachments

• Mini080106-01.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Mini080106-02.zip
    15.9 KB · Views: 11
Both your latest minidumps crash with exactly the same symptom khips.sys.

Maybe you should consider using a different firewall programme.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you!

Hi Howard,

After uninstalling the firewall, the BSOD has indeed disappeared. Thank you so much for the help. But would you give any recommendation for what other type of firewalls I should use? I've browse through the MajorGeek site and find that Kerio Personal Firewall (which I was using until the BSOD problem) is a hot pick. I'm now trying Open Firewall but I'm not sure if it is good.

You could give the free Zonealarm firewall a try.

I`ve been using it for years with no problems. However, I must tell you that Zonealarm can cause problems on some systems/configurations. So if you try it and start to have BSOD`s, you`ll have a fair idea what`s causing it.

You can get it HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Hi Howard,

I have used ZoneAlarm before (a couple of years ago) and it freezes up my entire networking on my system after a period of time. I'm willing to try it again, the only thing - is the ZoneAlarm or the Pro version more susceptible to stalling the entire network after a period of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back