STOP 0x07F from certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this problem has been a stumper for me and now that I finally got a minidump to successfully write, I'm going to let you guys, the ones who know a whole lot more than I do, help me out!

Information for my PC can be found from the drop-down menu (according to the information area that I filled out with my PC specs.)

So far it seems that any non-Source engine game that I play on my computer results in a STOP 0x07F bsod. I have Windows Vista (32-bit, SP2) set to create a minidump in the default location. The bsod screen would always say "Preparing disk for write..." or something like that (the exact message is currently escaping my mind) and would hang there no matter how long I left it like that. I have seen a friend's computer create a minidump within a second of that message popping up, so I knew immediately that for whatever reason, mine refused to create a dump file. Well, recently I updated my nvidia nForce4 chipset drivers for RAID and SATA function and played a game that I knew would cause a bsod within minutes (if not fixed.) Sure enough Oblivion produced a bsod, and much to my surprise, created a minidump! I knew this because I forgot to uncheck "Automatically Restart" and it automatically restarted, but not before I caught the code, which was indeed that darn STOP 0x07F.

List of games currently installed that produce BSOD:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Guild Wars
Tomb Raider: Underworld

List of games currently installed that do NOT produce BSOD:
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead

I have other games that I haven't fully tested, such as Half-Life 2 (which is Source-based like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead) and Call of Duty: World at War, which also seems to not produce a BSOD, but I haven't tried playing any longer than 10 minutes since I have a PunkBuster error, which is a completely different problem I'll work out later.

I have also managed to produce the same bsod while doing an anti-virus scan with avast! v4.8 Home Edition.

Video drivers currently installed are Catalyst 9.5, and current sound drivers are 2.18.004.

I have ran Vista's included memtest and passed with no errors as well as running memtest86 v2.11 for 10 hours with no errors.

I have used the WinDbg to open the minidump, with symbols included, and found that amdk8.sys is a possible problem, however I don't really know what to do from there.

I have included a zip file with the (finally) successful minidump.

Any constructive help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the first parameter of every STOP 0x07F bsod (which is every bsod I get) is 0x0D.

Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't find a way to add another attachment through the Edit option. :/

I received another STOP 0x07F with param1 as 0x0D while playing Tomb Raider Underworld today.

After reading up some more information elsewhere, I decided to try disabling the AMD Cool'n'Quiet technology in my BIOS as well as renaming the amdk8.sys file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers to amdk8.old.sys via SafeMode. Once again I tried to play Oblivion, as it seems to be able to produce my bsods quite quickly, and unfortunately I gained a new error code: BugCheck 1000008E, {c000001d, 86cc25a5, 803ecc1c, 0}

There is a new .zip file containing the latest 2 minidumps.

EDIT: I really need to slow down while typing... anyway, the Tomb Raider bsod occurred before the Cool'n'Quiet changes. Also, I updated my video drivers from Catalyst 9.5 to 9.7(current) before I made the Cool'n'Quiet changes. Tomb Raider was run with the Catalyst 9.5 drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back