Stop 8e even after repair install

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one has me really scratching my head.

Here's the hardware:
System name: Studio
Abit AL8 mobo
Intel P4 D830
Antec Titan 550 case & PSU
2x Maxtor 6L300S0 SATA HDD
Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Controller
1 Quantum VP32210 SCSI HDD
2xSony DRU-720A DVD-RW
4x GEIL 1Gb DDR2 533MHz
ATI All-In-Wonder X600 vid card
Unotron SpillSeal wireless keyboard
Wacom Intos 3 9x12 graphical tablet
Samsung SyncMaster 204T LCD FPD

Here's the software:
Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates
a whole raft of productivity software, including Pinnacle Studio 11 Extreme,
GIMP 2.0, Office 2007, Nero 7 Pro, Cygwin *nix environment, Microsoft Visual C++,
etc.

Here's the problem:
I had been running a trial version of Norton SystemWorks 2008 (Including GoBack2008) which had expired. I had already paid for an update to the Norton AV 2006 that was running on another computer so I decided to remove the SW2008 and reinstall the AV 2006 (It's a three machine license). When I did so it complained about there already being Norton products on the machine and to download and run the Norton S/W removal tool. I did that and upon rebooting after running the tool got a BSOD with stop code 8e, no device driver listed. I went through the entire gamut of things to do when that happens, including a repair-install and the Stop 8e would keep happening. Safe mode works as well as safe mode does, you just can't do much. I've removed my video driver and tools, ran MemTest86+ overnight with no errors, reduced the overclock back to the CPU factory specs, everything I could find. The location specified (parameter 2 in the BSOD display) is consistantly 0x80538F89, which should be an address in the culpret.
So herein attached are my minidumps in zipped format. There are several from each of my attempts at fixing this problem. Being stuck with only being able to run in safe mode keeps me from being able to do the analysis myself, so I appreciate the help I get here.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    97 KB · Views: 9
First 3 minidumps were 0x7F errors:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

There were two drivers cited as probable cause: ati2mtag.sys which is an ATI mini port driver and twice atitray.sys which is a Radeon Omega Diver.

Your last 3 errors was 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade -- which should be your last resort).

All three pointed to the probable cause as mdmxsdk.sys which is a driver in
the process Diagnostic Interface DRIVER which belongs to the software Diagnostic Interface or Diagnostic Legacy Interface or mdmxsdk by Conexant (www.conexant.com.

Route44 said:
First 3 minidumps were 0x7F errors:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

There were two drivers cited as probable cause: ati2mtag.sys which is an ATI mini port driver and twice atitray.sys which is a Radeon Omega Diver.

Your last 3 errors was 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade -- which should be your last resort).

All three pointed to the probable cause as mdmxsdk.sys which is a driver in
the process Diagnostic Interface DRIVER which belongs to the software Diagnostic Interface or Diagnostic Legacy Interface or mdmxsdk by Conexant (www.conexant.com.

OK Thanks! This gives me more info to use to find the culpret. I do have a Modem-Blaster modem installed which uses this driver (I just looked at the CXT1057K.INF file which lists it as a file to copy during the installation).

You're welcome. Also, interesting because through my research someone else had a modem blaster experiencing almost the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back