Stop Apologizing!

Tedster

Noobs! there is no reason to apologize when starting a message or a question! I must have read about a dozen or so messages today that started off...

"I'm sorry I'm new at this..."

or "I'm sorry this may seem like a dumb question..." etc...

This is starting to get annoying....

Just ask your question! It is not offensive to ask a question. Now if it is a dumb question because you failed to do your homework/ read the FAQs/ read the Guides forum, then we'll direct you there rather than answer the question.

The only time to be sorry is if you offended someone personally. Asking a question is not a reason to be sorry.

thanks. and Welcome to Techspot! :)

What annoys me is when is they say things like :"Hi,another newbie" or "Hello,I`m new"

or "Yet another new member" or "Hi",and the one that really grates - "Hello"

AAAARRRGGGGHHH ! :eek:

I can see where tedster is coming from but,
Po`Girl said:
What annoys me is when is they say things like :"Hi,another newbie" or "Hello,I`m new"

or "Yet another new member" or "Hi",and the one that really grates - "Hello"

AAAARRRGGGGHHH ! :eek:

Is that a joke? You dont like people saying hello?

Now if it is sarcasm and I didnt get it, I apologize (no pun intended)

AtK SpAdE said:
Is that a joke?
Yes,that was mostly a joke,:) however,I do think the Introduction forum is a bit pointless.

Julio says it encourages people to make a post,but I think it just fills up space.

What I hate is when the say "Hey all".

Why that stupid fraze. There are so man others to choose. Hello everyone. Howdy. Hi. I really hate that one.

Guys/Gals; get over it -- most people are intimidated with new stuff and
participation in a public forum can be very intimidating.

Be grateful for humility -- ten minutes from now they will change into ....... :)

Suggest you/we bash those with attitudes :)

Jeff

CCT said:
"Newcomer, in training" with such inspiration are Kingdoms made!

LOL! Talk about the irony...

I think the main reason people start out with such tentative openings is because there are some tech forums that absolutely roast a newcomer's questions, especially those with little to zero computer knowledge.

Still, Tedster has a point.

Po`Girl said:
however,I do think the Introduction forum is a bit pointless.

I have to disagree with you there Po`Girl. I think it`s far from pointless for the following reasons.

The information in the stickies(READ) threads in that forum, plus the info given in the welcome replies posted by some members are quite important and give new members the opportunity to get acquainted with our forums, rules, navigation etc.

Plus, as joebeard quite rightly says "participation in a public forum can be very intimidating." The Introduce yourself forum helps to break the ice. It`s also nice to welcome new members and show them that we`re quite friendly and here to help.

I made my very first post in that forum, when I first became a Techspot member. The initial reply I recieved from poertner_1274, made me feel more relaxed and at home here, as I was a little nervous at the time due to the fact, I`d never posted on a forum before. The rest is history as they say lol.

I also agree with Tedster, that new members need not appologise for asking a question. After all, that`s the sole purpose of Techspots existence.

However, I don`t find it annoying or anything and understand the reluctance of some new members to post. I suppose they don`t know what to expect and can find the initial experience a little daunting.

Regards Howard :)

I agree with Howard. It is a sorry state of affairs when common courtesy and politeness are looked down on with scorn. Having lived in New England all of my life, I am very familiar with the New York City attitude of cold abruptness that gets right to the point. It is not appropriate for a forum in which civil discussion and participation are to be encouraged. Let's not be so focused on the technical aspects of a forum that we forget that it is humans with feelings behind the postings and newbies in any situation (forum or otherwise) are naturally reticent about joining a conversation.

Continuing this thread, it would be nice for a newbie to announce that they have joined and receive some feedback from other members beyond the stern standard warnings about reading FAQ's and Guidelines that are regularly posted for the newcomer's announcement. I have tried to do this occasionally (a hearty welcome aboard, etc.) but do not have the time every day to do so. It would be nice if other 'non-official' members did so, as well.

howard_hopkinso said:
The information in the stickies(READ) threads in that forum, plus the info given in the welcome replies posted by some members are quite important and give new members the opportunity to get acquainted with our forums, rules, navigation etc.

That is true. Now if people would read those stickies...

Back