Stop: c000021a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cman3214

Hi guy I Just Recently Installed Service pack 2 to my windows xp. But i can not get into windows. i just get the stop c000021a. Ive tried everything and nothing works. Safe mode gets it also. Is there anything that i can do to fix this? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hmm I think I might have to reformat my computer. But is there a way to keep my files on my computer. I set a system restore point before i installed service pack 2.

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try running a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks howard. But i think i found a resoultion. I have to uninstall from the boot disk. By typing in $ntuninstallkb890859$\spuninst.But the thing is I can't get to my c drive. I think my C drive Is R but it still says file not found. Also, i tried to type in Dir $ to see if i can get a list of the hotfixes in the cd boot screen but it says that file is not in my computer. Why would microsoft release this if it will mess up your computer? Oh and this is where i'm getting my info.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

If you do a Windows repair, it will reset your Windows to the version that`s on your Windows cd, that should get rid of sp2 for you. Once done, you will need to run Windows updates again and install whatever updates you require.

It`s quite unusual for sp2 to break things these days. Perhaps it`s something to do with some software or hardware you have installed that isn`t sp2 compatible.

Regards Howard :)

Ok i'm trying to do system repair but i don't get asked to press R. And i don't get a blue screen. I just get the restore computer or boot from cd options. And when i choose to boot from cd i get A:\. Thanks for all the help so far though i feel like i'm making progress and learning some things i did not know about my comp.

With your Windows cd in your cd-rom drive, go into your bios and set your boot priority to cd-rom/hdd, then save and exit bios. This should now allow you to boot from the Windows cd and run the Windows repair a per the instructions in this LINK.

Ok i did that. And i still only get 2 options. And thats to either restore my computer or go to command center (dos). Maybe there is a specfic dos command i could use to start the system repair.

If you`ve done everything correctly, you should see a message on bootup to Press any key to boot from cd, at which point you press a key and the Windows cd will boot.

OK i figured out the problem emachines never gave that disk to me. I'm using my friends disk. And i did everthing. Wish me luck it is coping the disk right know.

Thanks i fixed the problem you myfirend are a genius. I need your e-mail so i can give you some gift card to amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back