Stop code: 0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazymadman34

i've been gettting the blue screen of death very regularly for some reason. i've done windows memory diagnostic to check if it was faulty ram but nothing turned up. can anyone help me with this? plz

Brand and model of computer or motherboard, OS, age, other components.
Can be a hardware failure, video graphics failure, video driver, memory, hard drive, an infestation, or the result of tweaking your system... as that code reported is generally a generic report on a memory dump...
It depends on what else is written in the error message, along with that first code. For instance if you change the Hardware Acceleration setting in the Display tool in Control Panel from None to Full, you may receive the following Stop error message in Win32k.sys: STOP: 0x0000008E (c0000005, bf875fc3, f07bcd48, 00000000) followed by KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

So next time it happens, write down everything. Windows posts it all because all of it can be important.

well,

brand: Compaq
model: Presario SR1610NX
cpu: AMD Sempron +3200 1.79 GHz
motherboard: MSI AMETHYST-M
graphics card: ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS480)
RAM: PNY DDR 512MB Single Channel; Hyundai Technologies DDR 256MB Single Channel

alrite i'll hav to wait for another bluescreen lol

i've removed one of my 2 sticks of ram (the 256MB one)
i suspect that since they are from 2 different manufacturers they mite not be 100% compatible. will this possibly solve the problem?

You increase your chances of success when you have a lot of memory, all of it fast (not Value ram), and all of it the same. Your computer uses all memory at the speed of the slowest module. Yes there can be conflicts. Usually not, except on a very few motherboards. Asus is one.
PNY and Hyundai are among the 44 third tier brands. You will have better luck with Crucial, Corsair (Samsung), Infineon (Siemens), Kingston, and a few others that make their own memory. Avoid those who just slap a label on, when the chips are of a different label or a different size. Third tier memory has always been trouble because the user is the quality control. Sure, they replace it, but you are the one who tests it.

another thing that can cause weirdness is if one of your RAM modules is double-sided and one is single-sided. If I'm not mistaken, put the double-sided in the first slot, single-sided in second. If I'm wrong, reverse it. If it doesn't work either way, that's not the issue.

In my experience, stop 8E is usually related to software incompatibility. Are you running any Anti-virus or Anti-spyware software with real-time monitoring? Also, grab the diagnostics from your hard drive's manufacturer and run that. Usually you can get either a 1.44MB floppy image or a bootable CD image.

The use of a high density and a low density module could indeed be the problem. It does not matter whether the modules are reversed in the slots on some motherboards. Other boards do not like the low density (dual sided) modules no matter what... while others will accept them if both modules are the same.

raybay said:
The use of a high density and a low density module could indeed be the problem. It does not matter whether the modules are reversed in the slots on some motherboards. Other boards do not like the low density (dual sided) modules no matter what... while others will accept them if both modules are the same.

Good call. :)

is there a way to provoke a blue screen?

i hav norton internet security 2007, but i doubt its the problem. i got blue screens even before that

how do i know if my ram is double sided or single sided?

lol maybe i shoulda been more specific.
is there a way to provoke the same blue screen i've been getting for like one year now?(the 0x0000008E)

NIS 2007 should be removed immediately. I would say...50-50 chance that may correct your problem...less if it's been happening before the install. Regardless, it's definitely worth your while to try. Give SymNRT a whirl on your machine and clean all Norton garbage the eff out of there.

to check the ram, open your case and take it out. If there are black chips on both sides, it's double-sided. Usually older memory is double-sided, but it's still around, esp. in the Value RAM section.

I'm fairly sure the cause of stop 8E is not going to be your memory, but I have been wrong before.

check your event viewer (control panel-admin tools-event viewer) for any system or application errors that sync up with the approximate times you got the BSOD to see if it's related to any program. If you want to delve real deep, download Windows Debug Tools and the appropriate symbol pack for your OS and pull the mini-dumps.

In place of norton, try Spy Sweeper with Anti-Virus, or, if you're cheap, download AVG Free or Avast Home.

o wow i was using one single sided stick of ram and the other was double sided

the pny one is double sided the hyundai is single sided

The PNY is low density. The Hyundai may be higher density, depending on capacity. It all depends on the motherboard, as to whether this might be a problem. It usually is not, but on certain boards, it can be.

Can you borrow memory modules from anyone?

You should actually be able to test by running first the 512 to a boot. Then remove it and run the 256. Run Memtest85 on each alone for 7 passes.

Look at all the details on your board website forum.

Here is the deal, the way we see it. We work on a tremendous number of Compaqs... every day... from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, Sams Club and so on. In our opinion, they are not great machines because they have weak motherboards in many models.

Your Presario SR1610NX is designed to use DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, and will work well with DDR PC4000. It will handle 4 GB of DDR RAM, but usually reports out only 3.6 GB of it when full.
Your computer came with 256 MB DDR333 PC2700, or DDR400 PC3200 of Hyundai low density, low priced Value Ram memory... unless yours was unusual.

You need 1 GB, in two identical 512 MB DDR400 PC3200 or better modules, or better yet, 1 GB in one module.
Ideally, you could have at least 2 GB in two 1 GB DDR466 PC3700 or DDR500 PC4000, or two 2 GB modules of DDR500 PC4000 128Meg X64

You can get two 512 mb Kingston or Corsair modules at www.zipzoomfly.com for $29.90 each with free shipping.

You can get two 1 GB DDR400 PC3200 Corsair modules for $52.50 with free shipping... so it would be costly but it might be worth it at $105.00 for two GB... but not bad, either.

The thing we don't know is if your motherboard is solid, because a lot of those Compaq Presarios with 4 GB capacity have been trouble.

I do, however, strongly believe, that you need better memory to survive this... and that can be done for $59.80. They can be a matched pair. You can sell the old memory for $20... end cost $40 if you are on a tight budget.

We still don't know if memory is the problem, but you need to start testing those other components while using better memory. And whatever else happens, that memory will make a difference... you will be able to sell it on eBay for what you paid, or more.

If it were mine, I would get another computer that is not a Compaq, Sony, eMachines or low priced HP... but money is money.

If you are a gamer, and keep this computer, I would buy better memory from the same vendor, than what I have showed you here. and I would fill up all slots with PC4000.

Good look to you. We will be following your progress. We are confident you will work it out, and we are looking forward to learning from you.

crazymadman34 said:
alrite i'll hav to wait for another bluescreen lol

i've removed one of my 2 sticks of ram (the 256MB one)
i suspect that since they are from 2 different manufacturers they mite not be 100% compatible. will this possibly solve the problem?
read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.

most likely memory's not my problem. i got another blue screen when a game froze. same as before except this time i wrote down more of the extra stuff.
0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xF28E3A7, 0xECACEAE8, 0x00000000)
SYMTDI.SYS - Address F28E3A37

if this is not enuf, it's only a matter of time before the next blue screen lol

is tedster a staff sergeant?

in the army? xD

Post some minidump files, look in c:\windows\minidump. You can attach five at a time in dmp file format.

Minidumps seem to confirm the Norton-is-bad theory. From the first minidump:

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: LUCOMS~1.EXE

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 806216cf

From the third:

MODULE_NAME: SYMTDI

IMAGE_NAME: SYMTDI.SYS

The second dump is pretty non-specific, but Lucom~1.exe and SymTDI.sys are symantec liveupdate files. Take NIS off with SymNRT and see if that helps!!!

That may be just a start. You may have to cold boot to a Windows disc and run in Repair to fix the damage already done. Also, run the free CCleaner to remove residual junk.
Perhaps the geniuses at Microsoft will someday come up with an explanation screen to accompany the bluescreen so repairs are not so insanely hidden.
We hope your blue screens are fixed, and that no troubles come back to ruin your day.

just for fun i added my previous RAM to see if the system would remain stable even with different sizes of RAM
to my surprise, they work fine except for wen u used a combination of the 512 with the 1024 lol

I'm glad we've been of service to you :) Just curious, did you use the Norton removal tool? If not, you should, it'll get rid of all Norton traces the standard uninstaller leaves behind- trust me, it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back