Stop Error 0x0000007E on XP Pro upgrade install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I have referenced this site in the past and have found it very helpful, so I'm in a situation where I would like to the opinions of others.

I'm preforming an upgrade on a newer Toshiba laptop from XP Home to Xp Pro Sp2, the install is going a-ok when all of a sudden in the GUI section of the install after the reboot, it blue screens and references
STOP: 0x0000007E and mentions the file grmn1200.sys.

I attempted to reboot and same thing occurs. The installation is at the point
which it automatically resumes the setup from boot, so not option to go back to Home. I looked up the file and discovered it is something to do with Garmin GPS software... which at this point doesn't help me my main concern is just getting the system running again on the original OS
I really only see two options:

1. backup data on hd and attempt a repair install on xp home, re-writing system data over old files
2. wipe/reload os/data, then upgrade to xp pro

Please let me know if anyone has an idea about how to get around this glitch please feel free to comment.

Thanks

Sorry to give you 'I told you so' but a backup of data before starting this would have been prudent.
I you have the means, take out the hard drive and connect it to a desktop using an adapter you can buy for the purpose. Be careful how you connect it and match pin1 to pin1 on the cable connect.
Once you have the datq copied, use the desktop to format the laptop drive.
Refit to the laptop and reboot.
If you have an upgrade to XPP it has to have an OS installed to work so install XPH first, then XPP u/g. If you have a full or OEM copy, reboot with the XPP install CD and follow the wizard.

Thank you AlbertLionheart,

I ended up just pulling the drive out, connecting it with a IDE usb adapter and removing the garmin dir altogether, while at the same time, backing up my data incase the last resort was the only option, reload the os.
Sure enough, just removing the folder, and the setup resumed perfectly and the install completed without a glitch.

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back