Stop error screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My name is Charlotte, and I am tring to set up a computer given to my daughter. Every time I try to start it up it has a Stop error screen. I have started it in safe mode to see what hardware is not working and I found Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller are not working so I uninstall them and reboot, but I get the same stop screen.
Please help

Thanks so much,
Charlotte

Forgot to tell you it is Miocrosoft Windows 2000 Pro

Hi Charlotte, welcome to TechSpot.

There shoud be a error number showing when you get that screen. Look at this, and see if it gives you any help.

If you don't get any help from that, post back here with the error number, and I'll see if I can find something on it.

the number is stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000040, 0x00000000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000) bad_pool_caller

Thank you so much
Charlotte

This BSOD is a tricky one to spot.

Gospel according to MS:
0x000000C2/40 = Attempt to free usermode address to kernel pool
This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software. Possible Resolutions:
* A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
* A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
End Gospel

Can you fill out the User Profile (top left on any page) with as many technical details about that PC as possible?

What Service Pack is loaded on that W2K? SP4 is the current one, with about 30 updates from MS after that.

Check for any exclamation/question marks in (Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware tab/Device Manager) and check in (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/System Tools/Event Viewer/Application and System Logs) for any Yellow or Red notifications. They might help you further.

Please report back on the ABOVE, while you continue with the BELOW.

Set your pagefile to a fixed size of 1.5 times the amount of your memory. (Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Performance Options/Change) Set Initial and Maximum size to the same number (e.g. 768 when 512MB memory).

Is there an Audigy sound-card in that PC? If so, remove the old drivers and D/L-install the latest drivers.

Could the video card be overheating?

Go to www.memtest86.org and D/L memtest86. This installs onto a 1.44MB floppy. Run it overnight to see what errors it comes up with.

As you can see, lots to do for now.

Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller

If that's a TVcard, take it out.

I had the exact same problem (if memory serves me!) on XP Pro after uninstalling the drivers for a cheap TVcard on my machine, and hadn't disabled the hardware. Taking it out solved the problem.

I was able to put it back in on the next shutdown. Strange, but true.

If this isn't the problem, "I'll get me coat..." :blush:

hello,i have a big problem,when i try to start many game such as fifa07 my screen suddenly change to stop error screen and the number is:-
***stop:0x00000050(0x92a21b28,0x00000008,0x92a21b28,0x00000000)

please help me...

i found the information regarding to my problem but i dont understand what to do.....below is the info...

SYMPTOMS
When you run NetMeeting with sharing enabled, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen if you restart your computer and start NetMeeting again:
STOP 0x00000050
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Back to the top
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if your computer uses the STB nVidia ZX 8-MB AGP display driver. This problem may also occur with the nVidia Riva 128 chip set in general. Some of the drivers for this chip set support OpenGL in a way that conflicts with the NetMeeting sharing function in Windows NT.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, obtain an updated video driver for your video adapter from the adapter's manufacturer or from your computer's manufacturer.

To work around this issue, use the standard VGA video driver for Windows NT when you are using NetMeeting with sharing enabled.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

so please explain to me in simple word coz im new in computer stuff,is it i need to update my video driver?if yes,how?

please...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back