Stop error with new computer - ntoskrnl.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jord2008

Stop Error & Random Restarts - New Computer

Averaging about once per day, although once it's been twice pretty much in a row (5min apart) I've been receiving random restarts (no stop error, no recover from serious error on startup, no event log's of it) and one STOP error on my recently brought computer. I've gone through google etcetera and haven't found anything similar apart from the dmp file blaming ntoskml.exe . Also out of the numerous crashes I can only find one dmp file. I've already ran "SFC /SCANNOW" but it appears to have came up with no results.

Here's the Event Log, and the Dmp file is attached. The warning & error messages for System I see also are "DHCP" and "TCPIP". (None occuring anywhere near close to the Save Dump log).

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 24/11/2008
Time: 11:24:27 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: JORDAN
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0xa0cbd008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8052390d). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112408-01.dmp.

Hope you can help :)

Attachments

• Mini112408-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
BugCheck 1000000A, {a0cbd008, 2, 1, 8052390d}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
PROCESS_NAME: searchprotocolh

Please firstly reseat your Ram (following all power and antistaic precautions as per your manual)
Then run Memtest on your Ram

That's strange :confused:

Reply back if you get any further issues (Minidumps)
It's normally faulty Ram though

Yea I've gone through all that kind of stuff, first thing i thought of.

Currently going to run SeaTools (Hard-Drive Diagnostic)

Ran SeaTools and the program froze pretty much every time either when I pushed to start it (most commonly) and randomly during it. With the freeze There appears about one and a half lines of DOS (white on black) writing - a whole lot of jiberish.

I told the Computer Company whom I got the parts from and they gave me a replacement hard-drive. The test is still giving the same results however.

A thing worth mentioning however which I couldnt really find out about is with adding new hard-drive DOS asks me the disk is currently in IDE mode, and wether i want to change SATA to AHCI or something. Last time I said no, this time I said yes and Windows + DOS couldnt detect the hard-drive any longer so I changed it back :?

Hope someone can make sense of all of this, Thanks! :( :eek:

Well from that response it tells me it's one main component
Memory error & DOS (white on black) and freezing. All equal Video Card Fault

Now, I was looking back over the thread, and I thought. Hmm, I don't even know anything about your hardware yet

Can you please tell me what manufacture it is Make and Model
I take it, that its a Desktop computer, not laptop :confused:
If Desktop does it have an addon 3D Video Card, Make\Model by chance?
How much Ram
Actually ideally, it would be best to put all this information in your Profile, ie exactly here => https://www.techspot.com/vb/profile.php?do=editprofile#system
Answering "Yes" to allow this hardware to be viewed (by me mainly)

Then reply back

Mind you, if it is an addon Video card, please remove it fully
Then start your computer with onboard Video (if the motherboard has that)

Just added the data to my profile now for you - yes its a Desktop.

Motherboard does have an onboard ATI card of some sort, using my offboard one.

Although thinking about that, it does raise a point that I haven't disabled the motherboard one - maybe they are clashing?

After looking in the device manager I can't find the onboard one anyways, and the BIOS points to the PEG not Integrated/Onboard also so perhaps this isn't it.

It's not

The Bios will automatically disable the onboard Video when an addon card is installed
This can be proven by plugging in your Monitor cable (sometimes with the 15Pin adaptor) to the onboard Video. You will not see any display.

So, here's the idea
Remove (unscrew, and then unlip, and pull out) the addon Video card
Obviously plug the Monitor into the onboard Video connection
And test

Reply back with results

This morning it restarted on me 5 times in a row, all after about 30seconds-1minute game time so I got sick of it and finally decided to test out the graphics card as you mentioned (Disable it, install & use onboard card)

The restarts first of all stopped (maybe just coincidence), and then I ran the Hard-Drive test and I got several passes, and just when I thought I might've found the problem, I went to do it a 3rd time and a similar thing happened to the earlier attempts. Instead of 1.5 lines of DOS and a freeze, I got random thin black lines (colliding etc, not all vertical/horizontal) at about the top 20% of the screen, and a freeze.

Could either mean there's 2 problems(The Graphics card and something else) or it could be a coincidence and we still haven't found the culprit. :(

Sorry I'm assuming you have fully removed the card physically and then still had issues :confused:

Therefore it cannot be the addon card (unless it's two things)

You may also need to reset the Bios (with the card out)
Bios defaults can be located in the Bios setup menu, when you first turn on the computer you should see this key to press (usually DEL but can be other key)

No, I had only disabled it, not physically removed.

I physically removed it now, and ran the Hard-Drive short test again and it was fine, and I repeated the test about 10 times to make sure and I did not receive freezing etcetera at all.

Faulty Video card :grinthumb

Or it just requires dust removed etc
But if cleaning doesn't help, please replace ;)

One month later and the new card I received is now coming up with the same symptoms, and test results. >.> A warning against people thinking about the Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB DDR3

Take one RAM module out. Only leave one in and see if it works. It doesn't say what kind of RAM you're using. Is it junk RAM or decent stuff?

Next thing, make sure you're feeding it enough voltage and that the RAM is compatible with that motherboard.

If one stick works, make sure you have the second in the proper slot, and that it's a dual channel kit.

Firstly I suppose adweston you are just spamming useless stuff around as your comment has nothing to do with the topic, and you are at banned status.

For an update, apparently Gigabyte found nothing wrong with the card and sent it back as new without telling the PC place, so it is odd that the same card worked again for a month after they had had it. We have now replaced the PSU (trial and error really) incase it didn't have enough Watts to power the machine. That lasted for about a week and now I have just had another restart.

We've replaced PSU, We've had Graphics checked out, We've replaced Hard-Drive, We've tested the memory. Only thing left is possibly the mobo.

Faulty Video card :grinthumb

Or it just requires dust removed etc
But if cleaning doesn't help, please replace ;)

Actually cleaning the Motherboard is a good idea
Firstly high preasure air can everywhere
Then you can purchase Circuit Board Cleaner and clean all the channels (ie all addon cards out)

As for adweston, actually his technical ability is\was good, he was banned for Administrative posting issues (really that's a general term, but it'll do)

Another person suggested just changing the detail of games down and to see if it goes, seeing my Mobo's Graphics card works fine, just it could only run on low detail.

Tried this, and I didn't receive the restart usually happening with the problem about 10seconds after loading.

Firstly I suppose adweston you are just spamming useless stuff around as your comment has nothing to do with the topic, and you are at banned status.

For an update, apparently Gigabyte found nothing wrong with the card and sent it back as new without telling the PC place, so it is odd that the same card worked again for a month after they had had it. We have now replaced the PSU (trial and error really) incase it didn't have enough Watts to power the machine. That lasted for about a week and now I have just had another restart.

We've replaced PSU, We've had Graphics checked out, We've replaced Hard-Drive, We've tested the memory. Only thing left is possibly the mobo.

I'm sorry you think that way, especially after two pages of posts and you still haven't found the problem.

I've had happen what you did, and it was that the RAM was not compatible with the motherboard. RAM can pass Memtest and still be the problem.

But ok......

EDIT: hah. I was just outside for a minute... and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I remembered where else I've seen this problem before. You're using an nVIDIA graphics card on an AMD chipset. AMD/ATi are the same company. That combination is just asking for trouble.

When I saw it before it was an nVIDIA chipset and an ATi card (so reversed), but same end result. It won't hurt to try a different VGA.

The other possibility is the PEG Link settings in the BIOS. Make sure they're set right and not overclocking your VGA. The "low resolution" is a hack, not a solution.

Sorry I just saw the "Banned" and automatically assumed. Already seen one other person like that on this forums.

I have used nVIDIA with an AMD mobo/processor with all my computers I've had and haven't had the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back