TechSpot

Stop Error

By aok_oldschool
Dec 9, 2007
  1. Well today I went to turn on my computer this morning, it loaded past the usual Dell screen, then the MS Windows XP screen, and then just rebooted. It continuously reboots until I stop the process. When I disabled auto rebooting upon failure I got a *dun dun dun* BSOD. The stop error I'm getting simply goes

stop: 0x0000008E (OxC0000005, 0xFF1F81E2, 0xF8BE33C4, 0x00000000)

The next line is about the dump. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, and I get the exact same result. I currently can't find my Windows XP disc, so I can't reboot using that. I have found a somewhat similar problem about an old version of ZoneAlarm, which I have installed on my computer. However, I cannot uninstall it as I can't even boot. I am definitely a newb at computers, and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

If you think it's Zone Alarm, start the computer and press and hold F8, go into Safe Mode and uninstall Zone Alarm or go to Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools>System Restore and restore the computer to an earlier date or last known good configuration.

3. aok_oldschool

aok_oldschool TS Rookie Topic Starter

I think it COULD be zone alarm. But with my luck, it probably isn't. Restoring to the last working configuration and safe mode both bring about the same immediate rebooting.

I still haven't found my XP disc, even though I think I used to have two of them. I was wondering if there might be a solution not involving one. This computer has XP, is it possible to burn off a disc of it (or something along those lines). I might have to borrow one from somebody. Thanks for any help, keep in mind I'm a newbie. :confused:

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

If you can we need the minidump files to help.

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump files.

It is these files we need, not the Minidump Folder. Attach the files to your next posting and someone should hopefully be able to help.

5. aok_oldschool

I can't even get to my computer. It reboots before even loading that main windows blue screen. I currently need a way of booting without the disk more than anything. I will say again, safe mode and last configuration both fail, only to reboot again.

This error occurs EVERY time I turn my computer on, not just randomly.

Edit: Well I recently managed to gain limited access to my computer by making a BartPe bootable disk. Now for those minidumps...

Edit #2: Er.. I have 84 minidumps according to this. I'm still trying to figure out if I can transfer them on to anything. I don't know anything about minidumps, but I have a feeling you're supposed to have less than that. O_o

6. aok_oldschool

Okay I fixed the problem a couple of days ago. I got Dell to send me a free Windows XP disc. However, now it seems firewall is blocking everything, only all my firewall is deleted/turned off. I can go on the internet fine, but certain messengers, etc. are blocked. Any ideas?

7. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

What firewall are you using?

8. aok_oldschool

I'm using zonealarm. I find some files that didn't get removed properly and took care of them. I didn't plan on coming back here, until I got the usual BSOD, only it was while I was on, and not at boot. I reinstalled ZoneAlarm, although I wonder if I hit all of the files I meant to. Or perhaps ZA isn't the problem... I'm on the computer that has been troubled right now, and I'm looking to see if the BSOD is a matter of time or more related to a certain action.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.