TechSpot

Stop IE10 from updating

By St1ckM4n
Jul 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I'm not sure about previous versions, but I believe those were delivered via Windows Update.

Internet Explorer 10 has a somewhat hidden checkbox that is enabled by default: "Install new versions automatically". I am unsure if this overrides the Windows Update settings.

The option can be found in: Settings > About.

ie10.png

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,310   +238

Gollie, I didn't know mine was already checked. So now my question is , if I un checked it, would the recent past IE 10 fixes be applied? St1ckM4n, if you want me to start a new thread, I will.

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,473   +622

This place is as good as any to discuss it. :)

If you uncheck the box, I'd say that the relevant updates would still appear as a listing in Windows Update.

4. learninmypc

Well, I don't even know if they're in there. I know I've received them,I just don't remember if I'm the one that checked that box or not.Yea,I know. I sound confused don't I. Guess I'll see what happens after tomorrow.
    I don't use IE10. It don't work either. I type in techspot & tap enter & it don't do anything.
    In another thread, I was considering rolling it back but I don't think I'll waste the effort since I have better browsers.

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,473   +622

The box was checked for me by default, when I upgraded to IE10.

6. learninmypc

Maybe mine was too,thanks. :)

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,119   +1,523

You know that suggest Windows 7 will get IE12 update in the future. Somehow I don't believe it's possible, the way Microsoft is shutting out support for Windows 7. I'm actually surprised IE11 is currently being ported to Windows 7. If you ask me IE11 should also be ported for XP users.

8. learninmypc

With the exception of when I first went online,(2001) I've never been a fan of IE

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.