Stop Music for Free, Pleads Record Industry

By uncleel
Jul 10, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stop Music for Free, Pleads Record Industry
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=762&e=1&u=/nm/20020710/en_nm/arts_music_dc_2
    Reuters via Yahoo Wed Jul 10,11:04 AM ET By Paul Majendie
  2. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,145

Being too greedy has lost it for them. They are now like the vacuum tube manufacturers trying to stop the transistors. The industry really needs to start over, and flush out all the ***** suit executives, and re-think how music is made, produced, and profited on. Perhaps they should consider selling CDs for less than $12 to $17 ?

Got News? > Kazaa to fold.... But will this stop the network???
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1618

Got News? > Protecting fair-use rights in the digital world
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=895
  3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Posts: 868

Boo hoo hoo, the megabillionaires can't buy another yacht because their music is being pirated. The reason no one has sold over 5 million records is because N*sync and Backstreet haven't released anything for the teenies. And what about Linkin Park, I heard their album sold over 7 million???

And I have to think the new Eminem offering will top the 5 million mark. I thought there have been studies showing that music sales weren't being affected by piracy, at least not to the point that they're getting desperate anyway.
  4. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,145

Michael Jackson's sales are in the toilet, so he blames Sony. Mariah's album was a bust. Kids don't want to listen to that style of music anymore.
  5. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Yeah gotta agree with that. If sales are down it's probably because the releases aren't as good now as back then. What do they expect when it all sounds the same.
    Don't matter much too me though, I'll just stick with my film instrumentals ;)
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Instead of blaming the consumer for lousy album sales, why don't they just listen to the junk that has been released in the past couple of years. There aren't that many good artists out there and those haven't released much that is good lately.
  7. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 Newcomer, in training Posts: 645

I don't listen to the same music a lot of you do. But the problem is it is billionaires suing millionaires. Most of the music i listen to is underground hardcore rap bands and i'm sure they get almost nothing for their cds yet they still keep making them for the people that listen to their music. What the music companies need to realize is that mp3 being available actually helps their sales as some people will download a couple of a songs from a cd and then go out and buy it since they liked the songs. There is nothing i hated more than buying a cd and liking 1 song on it and hating the other 13. In this society many things are stolen wrongfully...music, software, cars, clothes, food...just about everything that is sold is stolen. You dont see people suing the police because they can't catch a car theif or a cat burgler. Some good comes from mp3s and i'll tell you what, there are a group of people like me who will refuse to buy another cd if they keep up with the lawsuits. I am no instigator of a riot or anything of the sort but these people need to look around at what they have and get over themselves.
  8. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

That's a very accurate metaphor and a very good observation.

These people are stuck in the past, fighting to protect a business model which technology is making obsolete.

Kill all the Kazaas' you like.. there shall just be something that shall spring up in its place. There's no way to uninvent something...
  9. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

... Predicts using what? Two years of file sharing statistics and demographical information? :p

I hate it when numbers get tossed around like that.

20 songs? I was expecting more, but I guess it is a better deal than buying a CD for $15.
  11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Ahh, but you bought the CD and that's all they care about. :)

You never know.. With enough SWAT teams, DoS attacks and money, they could lock up main distributors, stop music sharing hubs and brainwash us all to forget anything ever happened. :) This will be especially true when they start making those little chips that go in the back of your wrist... :p
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.