Stop Music for Free, Pleads Record Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

Stop Music for Free, Pleads Record Industry
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=762&e=1&u=/nm/20020710/en_nm/arts_music_dc_2
Reuters via Yahoo Wed Jul 10,11:04 AM ET By Paul Majendie
The record industry pleaded on Wednesday with consumers to stop downloading and recording music for free because piracy was strangling the multi-billion-dollar industry.

"If the prevailing music for free mentality is left unchecked, record companies will no longer be able to re-invest up to 15 percent of their revenues in discovering and nurturing the Platinum artists of the future." "In 2000 in America, seven albums sold more than five million copies. Since then, none has sold more than five million copies,"

...putting the fall down to consumers who spurn the record stores and search elsewhere to get their music for free.

Being too greedy has lost it for them. They are now like the vacuum tube manufacturers trying to stop the transistors. The industry really needs to start over, and flush out all the ***** suit executives, and re-think how music is made, produced, and profited on. Perhaps they should consider selling CDs for less than $12 to $17 ?

Originally posted by uncleel
The Sorry State of the Recording Industry.

1.) Corporations have purchased the major labels, making it harder for fresh faces & good music to break thru. Universal owns 6 labels, Warner 4, Sony 3, BMG 3, & EMI 3.

2.) CD's costs less to produce than a vinyl LP, but the prices have gone up.

3.) Instead of utilizing the new technology, the industry sues Napster. In fact I read of one record executive, Michael Greene who called ,"Web Theft."

So while our beloved politicians & State attorneys try to extort money from M$, "for all the harm caused to consumers," they completely ignore "we" consumers who are getting ripped off by the recording industry.

Got News? > Kazaa to fold.... But will this stop the network???
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1618

Got News? > Protecting fair-use rights in the digital world
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=895

Boo hoo hoo, the megabillionaires can't buy another yacht because their music is being pirated. The reason no one has sold over 5 million records is because N*sync and Backstreet haven't released anything for the teenies. And what about Linkin Park, I heard their album sold over 7 million???

And I have to think the new Eminem offering will top the 5 million mark. I thought there have been studies showing that music sales weren't being affected by piracy, at least not to the point that they're getting desperate anyway.

Michael Jackson's sales are in the toilet, so he blames Sony. Mariah's album was a bust. Kids don't want to listen to that style of music anymore.

Yeah gotta agree with that. If sales are down it's probably because the releases aren't as good now as back then. What do they expect when it all sounds the same.
Don't matter much too me though, I'll just stick with my film instrumentals ;)

Instead of blaming the consumer for lousy album sales, why don't they just listen to the junk that has been released in the past couple of years. There aren't that many good artists out there and those haven't released much that is good lately.

I don't listen to the same music a lot of you do. But the problem is it is billionaires suing millionaires. Most of the music i listen to is underground hardcore rap bands and i'm sure they get almost nothing for their cds yet they still keep making them for the people that listen to their music. What the music companies need to realize is that mp3 being available actually helps their sales as some people will download a couple of a songs from a cd and then go out and buy it since they liked the songs. There is nothing i hated more than buying a cd and liking 1 song on it and hating the other 13. In this society many things are stolen wrongfully...music, software, cars, clothes, food...just about everything that is sold is stolen. You dont see people suing the police because they can't catch a car theif or a cat burgler. Some good comes from mp3s and i'll tell you what, there are a group of people like me who will refuse to buy another cd if they keep up with the lawsuits. I am no instigator of a riot or anything of the sort but these people need to look around at what they have and get over themselves.

Originally posted by uncleel
Being too greedy has lost it for them. They are now like the vacuum tube manufacturers trying to stop the transistors.

That's a very accurate metaphor and a very good observation.

These people are stuck in the past, fighting to protect a business model which technology is making obsolete.

Kill all the Kazaas' you like.. there shall just be something that shall spring up in its place. There's no way to uninvent something...

From CNET.com Tech News:
Study: Kazaa, Morpheus rave on

By Larry Dignan
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
August 14, 2002, 7:15 AM PT

Digital distribution of music through services such as Morpheus and Kazaa will continue to thrive, with use peaking in 2005, according to a report released Wednesday.

The Yankee Group predicts 7.44 billion unlicensed audio files will be swapped in 2005 among consumers aged 14 and older, up from 5.16 billion in 2001.

After 2005, however, Yankee predicts free music swapping will begin to decline. Yankee projects 6.33 billion unlicensed audio files will be swapped in 2006.

If Yankee's projections are right, it could be bad news for the recording industry, which has been launching its own pay services and working to thwart unlicensed music swapping. The entertainment industry is also pondering legal moves against individuals.

According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Internet piracy of music has shaved 5 percent from music sales in both 2001 and 2000. Although the declines can be attributed to other reasons, Yankee said, unlicensed music swapping is "certainly a significant contributing factor."

In a separate report, Forrester Research disputed the RIAA's claims and, like Yankee, noted the music industry must make it easier for people to find, copy and pay for music over the Internet.

Forrester also concluded that pay services will likely take off in about 2005, with digital music delivery accounting for 17 percent of sales in 2007.

Yankee analyst Michael Goodman said it would take a few years for the record industry to develop an Internet business model that works.

"It’s a question of a number of factors falling into place," Goodman said. "All five (major) labels and the independents have to be signed for digital services and that’ll take some time."

Goodman said the business deals and the products will be in order by the end of 2003 but then consumers must be enticed to leave free services, a process that will "take another couple years."

Given the record industry's penchant for retaining control over music distribution, Goodman predicts it won't be until 2006 before pay services make a dent in unlicensed distribution. Indeed, services such as Pressplay have gotten off to a tepid start.

Goodman said the music industry is at a crossroads where it can either continue to lose sales or embrace digital distribution. It's no coincidence that retail music sales peaked in 1999 at $14.6 billion on 1.2 million units sold and then declined with the introduction of Napster.

"In the end, the record labels will have to share control of the content with the consumer," said Goodman. "This philosophical shift will not come quickly or easily to the record labels. Nor will consumers quickly adopt fee-based file-sharing services."

Yankee projects 500,000 consumers will subscribe to licensed music, services generating $21.7 million in revenue in 2002. Once the music industry works out a business model, subscribers will grow to 65.6 million, generating $5.8 billion in revenue by the end of 2007.

Among other findings in the report:

# In a survey of 1,400 consumers, Yankee found that that 11 percent said they would be very interested in legitimate music download service, with another 22 percent describing themselves as somewhat interested. Interest among broadband subscribers is higher, with 46 percent responding that they were very or somewhat interested in a music download service.

# Consumers who listen to music on MP3 players are more interested in legitimate download services, with 25 percent saying they were very interested and 23 percent checking in at somewhat interested. Consumers with CD burners were the least interested with 34 percent being either very or somewhat interested.

# When consumers were asked whether they'd pay $6.95 a month to download 20 songs, 26 percent fell into the interested category. Among broadband users, 35 percent were interested.

# Teens are among the most avid music consumers with 64 percent of 16- and 17 year-olds downloading music. That is followed by 47 percent of people 18 to 34 years old and 33 percent of those 35 to 49 years old. Those demographics, however, present a "fundamental question of how legitimate music services target the consumers who are the most likely to download music, if they don’t have a credit card," Goodman said.

The Yankee Group predicts 7.44 billion unlicensed audio files will be swapped in 2005 among consumers aged 14 and older, up from 5.16 billion in 2001.

After 2005, however, Yankee predicts free music swapping will begin to decline. Yankee projects 6.33 billion unlicensed audio files will be swapped in 2006.

... Predicts using what? Two years of file sharing statistics and demographical information? :p

I hate it when numbers get tossed around like that.

When consumers were asked whether they'd pay $6.95 a month to download 20 songs, 26 percent fell into the interested category

20 songs? I was expecting more, but I guess it is a better deal than buying a CD for $15.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
There is nothing i hated more than buying a cd and liking 1 song on it and hating the other 13

Ahh, but you bought the CD and that's all they care about. :)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
There's no way to uninvent something...

You never know.. With enough SWAT teams, DoS attacks and money, they could lock up main distributors, stop music sharing hubs and brainwash us all to forget anything ever happened. :) This will be especially true when they start making those little chips that go in the back of your wrist... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back