Storage Drive Causes sYSTEM tO cRASH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storage Drive Causes system crash.

Ok,
I recently rebuilt my machine but before I did I copied everything to a [175GB, worth of movies music and games] 200GB storage drive. The machine now consists of an AMD64 3400, ASUS A8N SLI Premium board, A 7800GTX, 2GB Corsair 400mz DDR, 2 200GBMaxtor HD's In raid 0 stripeing and my old storage drive [I'm running win x64] My Problem is that when I try to acess files on the storage drive [G] My system [crashes] reboots! The wierd part is that, it ran great for a couple weeks The only thing I could think to do to fix it was reformat and reinstall windows. I have done that 4 times now and every time i do, it will run good for a day or so but then, while accessing a movie or something off my storage drive, my system just crashes.
PLEASE HELP!!

"Crash" means what? A loud noise and severe deformation?
Check your storage drive for errors. Both filesystem and hardware wise.

Maybe you power supply is marginal to inadequate. Did that get upgraded when you rebuilt the system with more power consuming upgrades?

Oh dear..

Anyways, try different drivers? Does the storage drive cause problems in other computers? Try accessing it from Linux? Are you running any antivirus software that might choke on something?

Yea,
I replaced my old power suply with a Ultra X-connect 500 watt.
1 of my friends works at the local computer shop here in town. So I dropped off the drive a couple of days ago 4 him 2 look at it. He said that It ran fine in his machines, he even defraged it 2 give it something 2 do. So the drive itself is more than likely in good shape. As far as drivers go there all up 2 date, I try my best 2 keep em that way.
Last night I thought that mabee my IDE port was the prob so I unplugged my dvd's and used thier IDE port, but alas, same problem. I have found that I can access verry small files sometimes before it kicks me 2 my boot screene, mabee that is significant.
Anyway, If u all have any more ideas please let me know!

I got an external Hard drive enclosure, that has both usb2 and firewire as a last ditch effort 2 fix my problem, i plugged it in using the f/w port and it kept crashing, just like before however, when i used the usb it works. perhapse its somekind of irq conflict or something? any ideas??

try to stick with 1 error at a time
you could be jumping from 1 issue to another
heres what I saved from techspot forum large hard drive fix
this may help

If it works fine for a bit and then quits working again, this really sounds like a failing drive.

Your friend may have defragmented it, but that doesn't really mean it is working properly since the problem can be intermittent.

Try running some diagnostic utilities:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

They aren't definitive, but if you DO get an error, then you know something is up. If you don't, you really can't assume your drive is fine, so keep testing it over and over and over again to make sure.

The HD is fine, it works like a champ with the usb enclosure but I'm still curious why it wouldnt work on an IDE or FireWire??? Any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back