TechSpot

Storage drive problem

By badthumb
May 22, 2010
  1. I have a Seagate external USB drive on my Dell Inspiron that had been working fine and suddenly, the computer tells me that I must "format" the drive. I've checked "management" and the drive shows up as "Healthy" with a RAW format. I've also had problems with the windows explorer that started at the same time...not sure if they are related...feel like they are. Can anyone help???
    badthumb

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Anytime a drive shows up as "raw" it's file system/partition info is no longer known to Windows. Could be the drive going bad, could be corrupt MFT or MBR.

I've had a similar issue recently, I used GetDataBack to copy the files off but it's an expensive program.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

@badthumb
    JMMD is 100% correct in diagnosing the symptoms of your problem. You might give TestDisk a shot first (it's freeware) as it has helped some for free. $$ tools that i've seen people use are GetDataBack and EASUS Partition Table Doctor (don't know how they compare price wise)

@JMMD
    Just curious: Did TestDisk not work for your case? Or did you just decide to use the pay for tools?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.