Strage Windows Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphoool

OK Here it goes

This Afternoon 2 pc`s running windows xp pro failed upon trying to reinstall windows both pc`s hang during set up i now have one pc running with win 98 but still cant get xp to install any ideas???

one i have but i can only install window 98 on it when i try to install XP i hangs when it starts setup

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VA
Processor: Amd 2400xp
Gfx: ATI Radion 9800 Pro
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Mem: 512Meg ddr
Nic: Netgear
Scsi: Adaptec 2940
CDroms: Pioneer DVD, Plextor (scsi) Teac cdr (scsi)

Is your HDD an scsi drive? did you install the drivers for scsi during windows xp setup?

And in your BIOS do you have it set to boot from the drive with xp on it? Also do you have Plug and play OS enabled in youir BIOS?

Here's an idea also, try removing your NIC card, and your sound card, and maybe try cutting down to only one cd drive, and then try to install windows xp again, if it works, try adding the cards as you go...

all ready tried both when i boot off the cd i get the message press f6 to install raid or scsi drivers then press f2 to use automated system recovery it loads all the drivers then it says Starting Windows Set Up and thats when it hangs

No HD Arnt scsi and the Adaptec 2940 is on the HCL also remember from above both machines were already running XP before they died

Maybe you should copy the entire contents of the cd to the HDD, you'll have to ask someone exactly how to do this, and then run setup...

Did you ever previously have WinXP installed on either of these PCs?

If the answer is yes, then that would tend to suggest that your WinXP CD is damaged. If the answer is no, then it would tend to suggest that your hardware is incompatable. First, can you provide more info, such as answering the following question ...

Are you installing to a newly formatted hard drive, or are you upgrading an existing win98 installation?

Originally posted by -=Morph=-
both machines were already running XP before they died

I Have also tried a clean install of xp an upgrade of xp from win 98
i even tried installing Win 2k

The only OS i can get to install is win98 i have tried everything i know eg removing all non esential hardware, changing memory etc etc

In your original problem you seem to indicate that XP was already running on these machines. You say that you were trying to reinstall, why was this? It seems odd to me that two machines would suffer from a failure of that magnitude at the same time.

I tend to agree with Nic here in his statement about a bad CD. Try cleaning the CD, or polishing it to get the scratches out.

Originally posted by -=Morph=-
OK Here it goes

This Afternoon 2 pc`s running windows xp pro failed upon trying to reinstall windows both pc`s hang during set up i now have one pc running with win 98 but still cant get xp to install any ideas???

I dont mean to be rude so forgive me if it seems that ways but i have ran a network for 8 years im quaified as MCSE, N+, A+ and i have tried everything i know im just trying to get opinions this problem i have never encounterd before

Yes I Have Tried Another copy of XP
Yes I Have Tried Copying the files to the hard drive
yes i have tried changing memory
yes i have tried a different HD
yes i have tried installing with just one hard drive and gfx card connected to the mobo
yes i have tried deleting the partitions on the hard drive and installing from scrath
yes i have tried upgrading from win98 to win xp
yes i have tried installing win2k

shall i go on??

Originally posted by Nic
Sounds like your XP CD is screwed. Are both PCs identical spec?

No the second machine is only a baby is only used for storage

800 mhx duron
gigabyte mobo
netgear nic
32 meg ati tnt2 gfx

Do you have another system you could start the installation of Xp on, what I mean is, put the Hard Drive in another system, do installation, but when it goes to restart the pc(and start Xp for the first time) shut the pc off and put the HDD in the system it belongs too that way it will install all the drivers properly.....Just a thought....

Unplug your network cable, if you have one attached, and remove any unnecessary cards from their internal slots (pci). Also, remove any USB devices, and others that you don't need during install. Also, check your bios settings and try setting 'safe defaults' if you are still having problems. If that doesn't work, then you've certainly got us beat, as your problem doesn't make any sense.

Hey is it possible to try and use and IDE cd-rom????? Maybe the scsi drives dont like the idea of installing XP, get a hold of one and try it and tell us what happens.

ok guys i think ive found the problem
first the baby machine was a harddrive failing

second the daddy pc about a month ago when i put my Radion 9800 pro in i blew a 550w psu now im thinkin that this has caused a problem with the mobo i will let you know the out come when i replace the mobo tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back