Strange audio buzz when power supply is used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

Hi there,

I have a problem with my laptop, when I plug the audio output into speakers I get a very loud buzzing sound with large amounts of white noise added. The strange thing is that the buzzing only happens when the laptop is running on mains power, on battery it is fine. It's also fine on headphones as well!

I have tried using different speakers, different power sockets in my house and other peoples, different connecting cables all with no change to the noise. The only thing that seems to affect it is when I use different power settings on the laptop the battery saving power mode is a lot less noisy!

I'm quite into my audio stuff but have never had a problem like this before! Can anybody help me?

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV6000 which I have owned for around 5 months.

Many Thanks

Will

I can't help you other than report that I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion 9540 and that when I talked to the rather incompetent support they said that the problem had been fixed for an other HP laptop by a BIOS update but that there were none available for mine.

Strangely enough the problem comes and goes and I had close to no problems at all in France but the problem has returned now that I'm back in sweden. The problem always goes away if I remove the power cord but isn't always there when the power is plugged in.

I have all the newest updates including Vista SP1 RC1.

Cheers Nilesp, I presumed it would be hardware fault but from what you've said it seems it could be software related. I would of though if it was Bios problem though that there would be loads of people with this problem? I shall try to find any updates that are available. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Will

I have just tried updating the Bios to the latest version available and the problem is still just the same! This is really getting annoying now, why do they insist on selling products that don't actually work!

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back