TechSpot

Strange boot issue in XP Pro

By Kite0
Jun 25, 2007
  1. Seems boot issues are pretty common, but this one is somewhat strange. Whenever I boot to XP, it hangs right after the Windows XP bootscreen. But only 75% of the time.
    After the bootscreen all i get is black, no cursor, no welcome, just unresponsive black. When I press reset the BIOS hangs as well. So I power down and power on again, wait to see if it boots to the desktop, and if it doesn't, I just power down and repeat. The problem isn't critical just annoying, but if it continues much longer I'm just going to reinstall.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We see this a lot. Updating the BIOS and chipset help in most cases... followed by running Windows XP (not OEM, not Recover) in R for Repair mode.

3. Kite0

Kite0 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, i did not realize that this was a common issue, I'll be sure to check the forums more thoroughly before posting next time. I'll see if updating the BIOS helps. Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.