Strange Characters/Artifacts and Horizontal Lines in BIOS, OS won't boot

EternalWarrior

Hello all,

My poor baby is getting old (built in 2009). Title pretty much sums up my problem. Been having sporadic BSOD, and application hang-ups that I associated with an old video card (PNY GTX 275). However, I was playing a video game last night on my primary monitor, while a movie was playing on my second monitor and the whole rig just froze up. There was an audible buzz similar to what I'd heard in the past at BSOD, but images just stayed frozen with the constant buzz. I had to do a forced reset, but when doing so was crushed when my BIOS posted with strange characters and horizontal lines (Pictures attached). Despite multiple reboots, system restore attempts, and startup repair attempts, I have had no luck getting into the OS, nor has f8 let me boot into safe mode (just offers to boot from floppy or RAID 5). The windows splash screen loads but then before the "login" screen appears it just resets to BIOS. I'm inclined to believe this is a dead video card scenario. If it is a hard drive situation then I'm wondering if there were multiple simultaneous failures. I have 3 Western Digital Black 500mb drives setup in a RAID 5 array to help protect from data loss on a drive failure. But shouldn't everything still boot even if one of the drives has failed? Also, could RAM failure cause this problem?

In summation -

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Overclocked to 3.02GHz
GPU: PNY GTX 275
Memory: 4x2GB G.Skill 1066 DDR2
Storage: 3x Western Digital Black 500mb - RAID 5

Problem: Strange Characters/Artifacts and Horizontal Lines in BIOS. Can't get into OS or Safe Mode

Attempted so far: Multiple reboots. System Restore. Startup Repair

Attachments

• first screen.jpg
    first screen.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 7
  • second screen.jpg
    second screen.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 7
  • third screen.jpg
    third screen.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 6
  • fourth screen.jpg
    fourth screen.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 6
I just got safe mode to work! (no idea what to check in here though....)

After trying yet another startup repair I got another window with advanced system recovery options, including command prompt.

From there I used:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Clicked restart and waited longer than usual, including an all black screen with white lines matching the pattern on "Second Screen" .jpg

But I've gotten Safe Mode to boot! Any suggestions for reports to check in here?

Any particular way of narrowing things down to that? Other than the obvious of buying a new Power Supply and seeing if there is more success... ha.

Back