Strange computer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korokoku

Whenever I try to turn my computer on after it has been shut off for the night only the fans go on and it fails to boot. After turning the motherboard off and on it will boot with one beep going off during post, and according to the User Guide manual, the possible errors could be: "keyboard controller error", "Refresh time error", or "No Master drive detected". It still stars however, but some programs don't run on startup and it is overall extremely slow. Then I restart my computer and everything is running perfectly.

Any ideas what is causing this? And sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't exactly sure where to post.

Absolutely anything could be causing it.

We can only work with the information you give us.

We need to know what pc it is for starters. What windows version you have. Information about any recent hardware changes.

The more info you give us, the greater the chance of us diagnosing your problem.

The single beep on bootup is normal btw.

ASUS A8R32-MVPDeluxe XPES320 939 - Motherboard
AMD OPTERON 165 1.8G 939 2x1M 90N R - Processor
1G CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt x2 - Memory
200G WD 7K 8M ATA100 WD2000JB - Hard Drive
Win XP Home - Operating System
VGA ATI X1900XT 512M - Video Card

No recent hardware changes. What I meant by the beep was it is the normal startup beep plus an extra single beep.

So now we know you have a built pc rather than a pre-built piece of junk.

Has it ever worked properly or is the fault recent?

Did anything happen in particular if the fault is recent? (power outage for example)

I built it a little over a year ago. This problem is recent within the past couple days, and nothing like a power outage has occurred. However, I have an APC battery backup/surge protector for it anyways. That is why this is so confusing for me.

It being an Asus mobo, have you updated your bios and\or drivers recently?

What make, wattage, and 12volt rail amperage psu do you have?
You may need to look at the label on the psu for that info?

The reason I ask about bios and driver updates is because i use the same make of mobo as you (take a look at my profile) and it had issues until a new bios and driver set was released.

Antec, 450 watt, SmartPower psu
I haven't updated anything for the motherboard that I can think of. I'm also not sure completely how to update the bios.

lsass.exe system error end point format invalid.

Good day to all,

Have a question that I hope someone can answer. Just made a few upgrades to my Mom's computer so she can utilize DSL service for internet browsing. Upgraded memory, installed new cd rom/dvd drive, also installed a new ethernet nic card so she can connect computer to dsl modem/router. Once this was all done she was able to connect to Verizon's DSL service fine with no problems for about 48hrs. Verizon offered a security suite download which my sister agreed to install, this soon after cause the "lsass.exe system error" which causes the computer to reboot automatically. Neither my mother or sister can access their profiles currently. the computer is an HP Pavilion Desktop which is about 7yrs old running Windows XP with McAfee as the virus protection. Are there any known fixes out there for this issue?? Thanks in advance for any advise to help resolve this problem. (P.S. the to recover from safe mode to no avail also).

BigAnt, you need to start your own thread rather than hijack someone elses.

Korokoku, go to the asus website and update all your mobo drivers and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry BigAnt, i had no intention to upset you in any way and i apologise if have done so. It happens quite a bit here on TS and can make trying to solve the original posters issue more difficult.

Korokoku, unless your mobo supports live update then probably not (mine doesn't). The 1 time i updated my bios i connected a floppy drive and did it that way. I believe it is possible to make a "fake" floppy drive on a flash drive but i have never tried it.

I'd dump xp home to start
get a 600 watt PSU
check board specs about best memory types you may need better mem like ECC
Fully Buffered
is anything overclocke was overclocked
if so ,try reset cmos and see if you have boot issues

Maybe a dodgy motherboard

In know we all like Asus - I do too - but I have had loads fail, some DOA out of the box.
I blame the motherboard - and point a finger at a capacitor. You could try a visual inspection of all the capacitors starting with those nearest the CPU to see if any of them are bulging or show a discolouration on the top. If you find one, the only practical fix is a new board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back