strange corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Running XP Pro... Installation was fresh two weeks ago.

Last time I tried, 2 days ago I think, I had IDE dvd rom and cd drives. I also had sound output.

For some reason, I now have neither.

Device manager reports the following message on the drivers tab of the following devices....

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Device list....

IDE DVD-ROM 16X
LITE-ON LTR-48246K
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

All other device drivers report as expected. Uninstallation and re-installation of these devices makes no improvement.

Between when I last used them and now, I discovered corruption in my FAT32 - system drive, C:. I ran CHKDSK c: /f from the run box late on the day before yesterday. It seemed to be quite damaged in terms of the fact that it fixed quite a few areas. The only thing that told me I had corruption in the first place however, was the fact that Fixblast.exe, which I ran out of pure boredom, crashed repeatedly as it scanned ks.sys in the c:\windows\system32\drivers, hence the running of CHKDSK.

since then, CHKDSK reports no errors. Everything works fine, except for my completely unrelated sound devices, and my IDE CD Drives, which POST correctly.

Last known good configuration does not resolve the issue. Nor does System Restore.

Any idea's? Everything else seems fine, except loads of RPC DCOM interface attempts, and portscans for TCP 80, 1025, 1433, 2745, 3127, 5000, and 6129 in my firewall log. Truth be known, I'd be suprised if I didn't have the RPC DCOM events. The portscans are a new and recent event though, well, at least in therms of the fact that they are sustained and regular now. Could be a sasser variant or something. I don't know. I haven't really looked into it. I am also told by messenger Plus! on boot, that it cannot integrate with messenger, and this usually happens if messenger program files are corrupt, or another program is behaving incorrectly.

any idea's?

I would try to reinstall drivers and pay particular attention to where the new drivers are coming from. That is, are they being reloaded from somewhere on the hard driver or off the installation cd. Could be that the new drivers that you are installing are corrupt also. Just because windows says that it has found the best driver, doesn't mean that the driver isn't corrupt.

lol. thanks for the tip. It's true, I didn't at first think of that. The internet might be the best place to get fresh drivers though, if I could find them.

It's kind of impossible to install CD drivers from a CD if the CD drives don't work because their drivers are corrupt :)

Further to the original issue, a new device has gotten it's drivers corrupted.

"Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator."

I've uninstalled the above device, but the add new harware wizard doesn't seem to give me an option to re-install it.

Is it possible I have a resident virus? (or in other words, can AVG scan and detect resident virii?)

It's either that or I'm having one hell of a slow progressing failure on my c: drive. Well, maybe not, but I can't think of another reason for it.

I downloaded an ran it. I was not vulnerable, but I have now diabled it anyway. Port 135 is still open, but I will close it a little later.

I've uninstalled the above device, but the add new harware wizard doesn't seem to give me an option to re-install it.

Maybe you need to run regedit or a similiar program to remove any leftover registry entries. I usually use the Symantic/Norton stuff, but regedit seems to work well also.

It's kind of impossible to install CD drivers from a CD if the CD drives don't work because their drivers are corrupt

Good point! What came first the Chicken or the Egg?? :>)

Further to the original issue, a new device has gotten it's drivers corrupted.

Since your problem is escalating, Me thinks a virus may be afoot. Some virus programs can be booted off the cd (I'm not familiar with AVG) for a more thorough scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back