Strange CPU/Motherboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CPU appears to work when plugged in to an older board I have lying around, and my board appears to work only when my CPU is not installed on it. The CPU fan will do about 1 full revolution, then stop. The machine is getting power; all my board's LEDs are lit. My PSU is 400W and the board is also quite new. I have tried stripping the board down, and none of my other components are causing the problem. Specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.2ghz (Prescott)
Aopen i865Gm-I (PhoenixBIOS)

is there any jumper on that motherboard?

is it set to support the FSB frequency of your cpu?

I assume that the mobo is set up correctly... It had actually worked previously for about 30 minutes before shutting down on its own. It's similar to the board I just replaced, which worked fine for over a year.

please check your motherboard manual... does it say anything about a jumper to switch between certain frequency ranges? assumptions wont get you any further.. at least they didnt with the problems in had on my computer. you have to try/know.

another motherboard.. is another motherboard ;)

well in my case it was a switch.. not exactly a jumper.. which you could set from on to off respectively.

so when you press the power switch what happens? only black screen? you hear the hdds work and the monitor doesnt change from standby to green? or what exactly happens? if anything happens at all. o.O

has your mobo got 2 or only 1 power-connections? mhm probably 2 but are both connected?

phuuu.. difficult. as always..

When the power is pressed, nothing happens at all. The cpu fan does about 1 full rotation, but no other fans spin up. All my power connections are set up properly.

well im pretty speechless..

because despite of all the errors ive been having, mostly the machine started to run normally.. but there was no video signal etc.

have you tried another cpu? or another PSU? maybe putting the mobo into another system and see if it works? well yeah i know the last part sounds pretty stupid but thats what im here fo... eh.. i mean i suspect your mobo might be broken?

do you get any beeps when having the motherboard-"speakers" connected on the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back