Strange D/L issue with IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ppl,

I have a strange problem when trying to download files using Internet Explorer 6.

But first a bit of background info on my specs:
I have 2 PCs with the same issue, one is a laptop and other desktop:

They both have up to the minute latest Windows XP updates including all security updates (downloaded form microsoft windows update) and latest drivers and everything else.

On software side they 2 apps they both have installed is Seek & Destroy (spyware killer) and ZoneAlarm Security Suite (Retail). I do now have any illegal software etc... that may have emmited a virus.

Now for the problem, when I try to download files any files .exe, .zip, .wave or naything else under the earths sun. It starts and gets to 40-50 KB and stops as if the download has completed so It partially downloads the files then stops whyyyyy. This happens on every files great and small.

I have tried to remove S&D and ZoneAlarm and disable all the IE Add-ons (most of them are generic) and no go.

I have reimaged the desktop PC and found that it worked then after a few days same issue.

I cannot pinpoint where and why???? The only conclusion I can come up with is if MS has screwed up one of its updates but then everyone on the globe would have the same problem.

Downloading in Firefox is fine and works well.

Guys this is driving me absolutely crazy I don't even use IE6 that much but the sheer fact that the problem is there and I cannot figure ir out is making me lose sleep!

Could it be spyware, virus, adware, trojan or software corruption I don't know, please please give me some assistance!

With all the good anti-spyware products out there, I don't understand how you ended up with something called "Seek & Destroy". I have 6 free anti-spyware programs on my pc(all free), but I never heard of "Seek & Destroy".

Unfortunatly, there have been a lot of problems associated with ZoneAlarm recently. You might try the ZoneAlarm help forums.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s see if your system is free from any nasties.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread, I`ll take a look and advise.

If it turns out to be virus related, I`ll move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Seek or search and destroy...I have heard of good and bad about them. Eventually, your system will start having problems. I am running XP Pro SP2, and with all the security patches from Microsoft in August, my system has been a little flakey too. One of the patches has rendered a game I play useless. The funny thing is, the game Hyperbowl is licensed by Microsoft... go figure :confused:

Spybot Search & Destroy is a very good program which I have never had any problems with.

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
Spybot Search & Destroy is a very good program which I have never had any problems with.

Regards,

Korrupt
I agree. I have been using Spybot Search & Destroy for years, and it has helped me out a lot. I encourage everyone to make regular donations, to help keep it afloat.

The most important thing to keep in mind, regardless of which anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware and firewall you use is to keep it UPDATED, just as it is important to make sure you have all windows critical and security updates.

Re: the download issue, sometime you will get that.. after you've checked yourself out of the viruses etc with howard's instructions, clear your internet cache [Tools>Internet Options], delete the file that was incompleted download and then try to download it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back