Strange flashing in lower part of screen

Hello people,

A couple of days ago I had to replace my laptop screen.
First I got a wrong one (wrong resolution, didn't pay attention, rather stupid of me) but after sending it back I got the right one.
After I installed it though, there was a flashing in the whole screen (just flashes of a fraction of a second.), especially when I was on battery.
This I sort of fixed by messing around with some settings in the Intel Integrated Graphics control panel. (My laptop for some reason has two Graphics cards, I disabled the setting that switched the refresh rate from 60 Hz to 40Hz when on battery.)
Unfortunately though, I still occasionally have a flashing in my screen.
The flashes are only a fraction of a second, and aren't the screen turning black, but it looks like it displays the upper part of the screen at the lower part of the screen. (bit hard to explain, but picture just copying the upper part of the screen and pasting it at the lower part for a fraction of a second.
I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem (Broken screen, or worse, cable.) or it has something to do with the graphics cards or software.
Reinstalling the drivers for both graphics card didn't help.

It's not a really major problem, but the flashing is driving me insane.
Thanks in advance for any help.

No easy answer. Possible long screw. Possible ribbon cable problem. Possible bad replacement screen.

Check Event Viewer and Device Manager for errors first.

When reassembling a laptop, it is terribly easy to move a 'longer' screw into a short screw spot. It can give sporadic issues due to brief grounding. Similarly, reconnecting ribbon cables is prone to issues of being shifted from proper location or not snug in clasp mechanism or contaminated by finger oils, etc..

If no errors, try to isolate when the issue appears (keypad use or pressing a certain key or region of the keyboard, or spinning up or down of HDD, etc.).

Ask your screen supplier after you have collected detailed observations.

Sadly, this may not resolve into a clearer idea of the issue.

Last resort, find a detailed video on reassembling your specific model and follow closely to identify any 'long' screws as you clean (q-tip with alcohol dampening) and re-connect ribbon connectors.

I use a cardboard organizer (insert screws in punched holes and write brief descriptions) when I take any laptop apart. Other folks make a video of the disassembly as they do it.

Hi, thanks for the reply, and sorry mine is a bit late.
The short version is that I'm screwed I guess...
I think I'll try the cleaning first, then get a replacement screen, and if all that fails I'm afraid I'll have to replace the cable. (and hope I don't **** up more in the proces.)
On a positive note, the supplier did offer a replacement screen.

Back