TechSpot

Strange graphic card problem--look at picture

By julianlawson
Jun 8, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My ATI 9600 video card has started behaving very strangely (see screenshot). I suspect if anyone has seen this problem before, they will immediately recognize it--note especially the wierd text distortion.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot is capped from Call of Duty UO, and reduced from 1280x1024 to 640x512.

I have checked all the basics (latest drivers; turned off fast writes; etc). According to my temp gauges, it's not a heat problem (but funnily enough is worse at the mo with 90deg weather outside, but I have aircon on). PC is a 2.6 GHz P3, 1.5Gb RAM, 600GB disc, Windows XP home SP2

Attached Files:

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`ve got what`s called screen artifacts.

Could be that your videocard is going bad.

Rma the card if possible.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Just want to add that if you are doing any overclocking (you didnt say if you were), those aritfacts are a cause of going to high. If theere is not OC'ing being done, then is would appear the memory is going bad. Check the seating of the card, or as howard said RMA it. Sorry for the bad news

Sean
  4. julianlawson

julianlawson TS Rookie Topic Starter

Fried card

Thanks both for your comments--you've confirmed what I suspected, it's a plain old fried card. BTW, card has been working fine for around a year, it's only recently developed this problem. (and no overclocking)

When I checked the card, I saw that the fan appears to have stopped working, so it's probably been overheating, though I'm surprised that I received no warnings in software of overheat (I thought that Radeon software had temperature management built in?).

Sounds like the solution is a new card... sounds like a suitable time to move up to a 9800.

J.
  5. compguy

compguy TS Rookie Posts: 162

If you get artifacts u probrably u need a new video card :knock:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.