TechSpot

Strange issue building new PC

By dpuck1998
Mar 3, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am building a new machine right now. The mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe, AMD 64 3500+, ATI Radeon X800XL (PCI-E), SATA Raptor, two IDE HD's and RAIDMAX 420W Case. I've built many systems and work as a network manager for a large school district. I put the machine together with no issues, boot it up and it posted fine (this mobo talks for post instead of beeps, very cool) as soon as I moved the machine upright and plugged it in, no post! as soon as I lay the machine on its side it post just fine....I got the first mobo replaced and just got a new one and it has the same problem. I put Artic Silver between the chip and heatsink (its a retail chip with the stock heatsink) Anyone out there had a similar problem and have any ideas? I really don't want to run such and expensive machine on it's side forever.
  2. CME

CME TS Rookie

just an idea but the only thing i can think of is something is shorting it out, mabe a screw or something fell behind the motherboard and rolls around when you tip it, just a thought
  3. Secondgunman

Secondgunman TS Rookie Posts: 192

???... I have... er ah... THATS IT AN IDEA!!!

I had a that happen to me building a system one time, it can be 100's of things in my case it was the power puppy that was the problem... my AN8-SLI never talks... I will have to look in to that. :giddy:
  4. dpuck1998

dpuck1998 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well in case anyone is wondering here was the problem. The reset switch connecting to the mobo from the case was shorting out. UGH!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.