Not open for further replies.
  1. Sys Specs

Asus P5LD2-VM mobo
    Pentium D 950 3.4 Ghz
    EVGA 7900 GTX 512 Mb
    500W PSU
    1 GB Kingston Ram
    Vista Basic

OK well I guess I will just get down to it then. So Ever since I began building this system I have encountered CRC errors while trying to UnRar or install software. Just to be clear I have checked all the files/disks and there are no errors, in fact when unRaring files it seems to be different files that fail the CRC check at different times.

I have tried many things to find the problem here, I have tried all Windows OS's back to 98, I have bought new Ram, upgraded the Video card, new PSU, different mobo updated Bios and even took it in to a "tech" to be checked out. There was no change.

So... quite by accident I found out about changing the processor affinity because of some conflicts on old games I was playing. Then I noticed that if I set WinRar to use only 1 processor there were no CRC errors.

Of course I would like to use both processors (kinda the idea behind the whole Pentium D) and I cannot always change affinity when tring to install a new program.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would apreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks !!!
  2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas Newcomer, in training Posts: 718

Sounds like you need another processor.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

1 - you do have the latest version of WinRAR, right?
    2 - you can disable the use of muiltiple CPUs in WinRAR options

The multithreaded algorithm was added to WinRAR recently and it may very well be buggy.
  4. funguseater

funguseater Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi, I have tried multiple versions of WinRar and tried 7z and a couple others. I am mostly concerned about being able to install software, as somtimes I cannot change the affinity of instalation programs. Thanks for the quick replies!

Also a new Processor is not an option right now.....

Cya
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.