Not open for further replies.
Sys Specs

Asus P5LD2-VM mobo
Pentium D 950 3.4 Ghz
EVGA 7900 GTX 512 Mb
500W PSU
1 GB Kingston Ram
Vista Basic

OK well I guess I will just get down to it then. So Ever since I began building this system I have encountered CRC errors while trying to UnRar or install software. Just to be clear I have checked all the files/disks and there are no errors, in fact when unRaring files it seems to be different files that fail the CRC check at different times.

I have tried many things to find the problem here, I have tried all Windows OS's back to 98, I have bought new Ram, upgraded the Video card, new PSU, different mobo updated Bios and even took it in to a "tech" to be checked out. There was no change.

So... quite by accident I found out about changing the processor affinity because of some conflicts on old games I was playing. Then I noticed that if I set WinRar to use only 1 processor there were no CRC errors.

Of course I would like to use both processors (kinda the idea behind the whole Pentium D) and I cannot always change affinity when tring to install a new program.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would apreciate hearing from you.
Thanks !!!

1 - you do have the latest version of WinRAR, right?
2 - you can disable the use of muiltiple CPUs in WinRAR options

The multithreaded algorithm was added to WinRAR recently and it may very well be buggy.

Hi, I have tried multiple versions of WinRar and tried 7z and a couple others. I am mostly concerned about being able to install software, as somtimes I cannot change the affinity of instalation programs. Thanks for the quick replies!

Also a new Processor is not an option right now.....

Cya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back