Strange problem(s) on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

clueless78

Hi. I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible.

About one year ago, I had a computer built because my old Dell died on me. Ever since I have had this new computer, I have always had errors when starting it. I was told initially, that the problems were because I was using the old Dell XP Home Edition OEM disc on a non-Dell computer. So... I bought a retail copy of Windows XP Pro, BUT, I am still getting errors and 'beeps' from my BIOS from a cold start up. I'm really pissed because I was told you can't use the Dell OEM disc because it lacks drivers for other computers, plus it's technically illegal to do so.... then i bought another copy of Windows and I'm still getting these problems! Grrr!

The only problems I have is when I start the computer from 'cold'... meaning it's been sitting overnight. For some reason though... I don't get any problems when the computer is warm (restarting).

Here are the problems I have at startup:

I start the computer from 'cold' and :
- I get a strange sounding 'beep', then another normal beep, then two more beeps from the BIOS. Strange long beep, Long beep, then two short beeps...

- after the beeps it begins to load windows then one of the following happens:
- at the login screen it says something about windows having difficulty in verifying my copy of windows so I restart and it works...

- or, between load screen and the login screen…. The monitor would go solid black and just sit there…..so I would restart and it would work.

- At the log in screen, a windows registry recovery box would pop up saying: "One of the files containing the system’s registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." Also, the color looked to be in 4 bit. I then clicked the OK box within the popup, then I clicked my name to log in, then right after that a blue screen of death appeared…. Tech info. Stop: 0x0000008E
So, I restarted the computer, still got that strange bios beeps… and everything seemed to start ok.

This is only Day #3 since my fresh format/install. I know theses problems will continue with different issues every day... But something tells me it might be a hardware issue... possible my ram. Also, it seems like the BIOS Beeps are trying to tell me something.....But it's really odd why it only happens on a cold start up... problems never happen after the computer has been running and restarted... only on cold start ups... otherwise it seems to run just fine...

Please, help me!

Heres my system:

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
2.0 GBs PC3200 Ram (2 different generic brands) ( 4 X 512MB)
Asus P4P800-VM with AMI BIOS
6600 GT video card
200 GB Seagate Barracuda
460 watt Enermax PSU
SB Live Value sound card (came with the old dell)
19"LCD
... not sure what else is worth mentioning....
Mcaffee 2006 Suite

Firstly you should never mix RAM brands. They May clash.

Secondly, Have you recently installed any new software? If so then try reinstalling it.
Have you recently installed any new hardware? If so then check the drivers.
Always take these steps first for problems like this.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back