Strange problem with Counter-strike Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, Ive heard about low FPS in source before. Even with high end computers. But, my problem is different. While playing in a populated 20, or 10 man servers I experience a usual constant of 60-120 FPS. The problem is that every so often the screen will freeze. As if the game drops drastically in FPS. It happens randomly, but more noticeably when in action.

Example: I Shoot at a guy running in a doorway and miss. He responds by chasing me a round a corner in which I would use as a corner shot, and as he crosses into my field of vision I freeze for a split second and he shoots me before the game recognizes my actions. It's as if the game gets paused for a second and my keys are useless.

I've
tried lowering settings, from my usual resolution 1020X768 to 800X600. Absolutely no change. Same for higher resolutions also. I've tried all sorts of source Tweaks and whatnot to improve my chances of not "spiking" (as I've come to call it) bumpmapping 0, collisions and rag-doll physics 0 etc. Fps_max 100, so on and so forth. I have 0 viruses, and I scan for spyware every day using adaware and spybot.

specs: from DxDiag

Machine name: ILLITHID
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: Gateway M680
BIOS: Rev 1.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 561MB used, 1896MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------------------------------------------
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: Quadro FX Go1400
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

--------------------------------------------------

Description: Conexant AMC Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_0604107B&REV_03
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: camcaud.sys
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.8340 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 6/28/2004 00:02:34, 34048 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Conexant
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 48000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 12, 11
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

LONG POST YES, I'm sorry. But, I play in a few leagues with some friends and I let them down sometimes when I freeze and cant make a shot, etc. Please spare some advice! D:

I fixed my own problem! (XFIRE ISSUE)

After 17 views and not even 1 reply, I found that "Xfire" was causing my CPU to spike from 5% to 96% usage every few seconds. If you are having similar problems, turn off xfire while you are gaming and see if it helps.

Thanks

I got the same problem. I turned off xfire and still get this issue. Anyone know what is making my cpu spike during firefights in counter strike souce?

Thanks

hmm...this problem is indeed weird cause i have a computer that is way worse then yours and i can play Counter Strike Source perfectly on the highest with no spikes or whatnot...i really have no clue...do you run anything in the background while playing? you may want to try going into your task manager and turn off things that you aren't using because these may slow it down...but other then that i am not sure sorry.

dna513 said:
I got the same problem. I turned off xfire and still get this issue. Anyone know what is making my cpu spike during firefights in counter strike souce?

Thanks

I had this problem too. You can fix it by doing what the above postersid and getting rid of as many processes as possible. Go t www.Processlibrary.com to make sure it is nothing important, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back