Strange Problem with SATA drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 40 gb Samsung IDE drive and a 500 GB Seagate Sata drive. I also have an LG DVD RAM drive as a slave on the IDE channel with the samsung drive. My problem occurrs as soon as I try to install any apps or games from DVDs or other optical media onto the SATA drive. The PC freezes after the initial 1-2 mins of installation. I have to press the PWR button and reboot the PC.

The same is the case when I try to ocpy media or create an image of a DVD or CD on to the SATA drive. The PC becomes completely non- responsive. I have already tried 3 SATA drives so I know that the drive is not a problem.

I have an ASUS M2n68-AM SE2 Mobo with a 5200 Processor. Could the Mobo be a problem or is this an OS issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried to find drivers on Asus's site for your board, but as always their site sucks and I can find your board, but then there is nothing to download in the downloads section. That board has an nForce 630a chipset, and I'd guess you'll want to update the drivers for that. It should be involved in any operations with your sata drive.

I'd go here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and do the pulldown menu stuff to get your driver. For the "Product" section I really doubt it makes any difference on which 630 you choose, I think they are all the same driver.

Give that a shot and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back