Strange problems with new (old) video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is probably the last thing you guys want to read about but:

Well I just got a Geforce FX 5200 128MB AGP (yeah, I know..) and I'm having some problems.

When I first put it in and turned on my computer, the system didn't boot at all. Not even a beep. So I read up some things online and took an eraser to the gold fingers and applied a little wd-40 as well, and voila, it's working. I have it in right now actually. BUT... I can't play any videos or anything! I tried to open the D drive which had the Sim City 4 CD, and the system rebooted. No game menu or anything. Then I tried to play a video file and it rebooted again. I updated my BIOS for my motherboard but that didn't do anything either. I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue with my motherboard. It's an Asus A7V8X-X, so i figured it should work, but I don't know where to find this out. I know it's a crappy video card to begin with but it should still work, and it's definitely better than my old Geforce 2 GTS 32MB.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers several times. My PCU is 400 watts. The CPU is an AMD XP2200 1.8 Ghz. I have 512 MB DDR 2700. So what's the problem? Any ideas?

Oh, and this is the card I have.
vgfx5200128s0ms.jpg

I also messed around with some of the BIOS settings like Aperture size, CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay, Fast Write, etc, but didn't do too much because I didn't want to break anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

you did wipe the contacts clean before reinstalling the card, right? in any case, you should see to it that you have updated your drivers.

To follow up on what Zephead said, when the WD-40 carrier evaporates, it leaves a coating deposit behind. For this reason, it is not a lubricating oil nor a solvent cleaner.

I repair cars and trucks for a weekend hobby and I use WD-40 as a water displacement agent (hence the WD in the name) as well as a poor man's rust preventive coating (on tools). However, its best use is not for computer electronics, IMO.

Well, thanks for the replies but I already got enough help from another forum to come to the conclusion that the video card is faulty. I have spent numerous hours trying every conceivable method to solve any fixable hardware/software/BIOS/driver problem. I did wipe off the WD-40 though. Thanks again for taking the time to offer help. I'm sending the card back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back