TechSpot

Strange restart...

By Brandon
Feb 3, 2007
  1. Hmmm.. the first since the start of January, I think some people might remember seeing me posting about constant blue screen and all that at the start of Jan and so on.

Well, I experienced a computer auto restart while surfing the net. I had manage to use this PC for the past whole month, nothing was wrong.. just today only. I'm curious as to what cause this restart. Someone take a look at the minidump.

The error code found in the event viewer is as follow.

0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8054afd2, 0xba6cb5e4, 0x00000000)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Good day.

***Edit***
    Got another restart later in the day. Funny.. I didn't had so many restart. I thought my computer had stabilized? Someone help immediately thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The minidumps point to NTKRPAMP.EXE and Win32K.sys... Unstable system? So what stablized your system before? Did you do anything?

3. Brandon

Brandon Topic Starter

No... I didn't do anything. I only uninstall all the unwanted drivers like Asus enhanced display driver, smart doctor and all that after I send my Asus Geforce 8800GTX for RMa..(that's on Jan 5th) Yesterday, it just restart out of the blue, shocking me.

I wonder.. was it because of my hard disk age and that it's on IDE to Sata connection(using a converter) instead of pure IDE connection. What's your take on this?

Hmm.. the day before, at night, I installed a new theme for my firefox 2.0.0.1. The next day, which is yesterday, those restart I mentioned above happens.

Btw, do you mind sending me text files version of the whole debugging, one file for each minidump? I want to see what other processes that I'm running and so on. Thanks..

4. Tmagic650

5. Brandon

Brandon Topic Starter

Hmm... I'm suspecting that the memory has problem.... I'm not sure.

Well, I don't do overclocking (I like stock systems).

Memory is Corsair XMS2 Twin2x C6400 (if I'm not wrong on the model) It's the 800MHz version, dual channel. I'm running 2 x 512 MB of it. Stock clock and stuff.
    My motherboard is P5N32E-SLI by Asus.Hmm.. hope this helps.

Hmm... well, the start of jan, I did swap my memory around. Let me paint a scenario of my memory swapping.
    Memory A seats in Memory Channel A. Memory B Seats in Memory channel B (this is my current configuration)

Earlier, the start of jan.. this was what I tried.
    Memory A seats in Memory Channel B, Memory B seats in Channel A.

Result:
    Lots of blue screen, memory reference error by programs. Thus i switch to my current configuration, been stable since.

I was wondering... during bootup times.... does the Os always load itself onto the memory in Channel A?

My theory is that... there's a particular section on memory B that is spoilt and that sometimes during boot up, Os load itself in there since it's a random access memory.

What's your take?

the bug check was 0x1000000A... was for the second minidump.

hmm...read through those links.. meaning that my display is having trouble? (it's a loaned X300 ATI card from the RMA center for Asus)

6. Tmagic650

Try running the system out of the dual-channel mode and run one 512MB module for a while. How is your power supply?

7. Brandon

Brandon Topic Starter

Coolermaster 600Watt extreme power. 18A on +12v1 and +12v2.

8. Tmagic650

Should be fine... Try the single memory stick

9. Brandon

Brandon Topic Starter

hmmm... ok.. will try soon... not now though.. system seems stable already. Still got work to do.. will get back to you after monday.

thanks a lot...

btw... which dump did you find the error on the NTKRPAMP.EXE... if it's on the second one I attached... well..

I was playing a game at that time.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.