Strange sound driver problem...I think...

By Gamester
Jul 2, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strange sound driver problem...I think...Please Help!

Ok, I got a rather serious sound issue that I have been trying to figure out all week. Everything on my system has been working perfectly until a few days ago when I started up my computer and received a message, right before the XP logo, which said, "NTLDR is missing" and it did not boot. So, I borrowed the hard drive from my other computer and hooked it up, setting my troubled hard drive up as a slave drive. Then I started up my computer and it booted up, then it went into the error checking scan for my troubled hard drive. It went through the check finding a bunch of errors and fixed them. So, I took out my other computer's hard drive and put the one in that had the problem with. I started my system back up and it booted fine and everything was good, except that I had absolutely no sound. I reinstalled/updated all my sound drivers and nothing works. Then I reinstalled DirectX thinking it might have something to do with it, no go. I tried various things to fix it, but I can’t not figure out what is wrong. I even went as far as doing a Windows XP Pro repair on my system, still no sound. Neither my on-board sound nor PCI-slot sound card, Sound Blaster Audigy, is recognized by my system. DirectX and “Sounds and Audio Devices Properties” say that there is no audio device. When I go into my “Device Manager” all the drivers are there, enabled, and they all say they are working properly. I’ve owned this computer for 3 years and never had a problem that I couldn’t fix, but this beats the heck out‘a me. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Gamester
  2. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

Check in the BIOS that the onboard sound is disabled. If it isn't it may be conflicting with the sound card.
  3. Gamester

Gamester Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hey IronDuke,
    Sadly, that is not the problem. I've tried that already and even tried different sound cards/PCI slots but still nothing changes. I'm thinking its something system driver/file wise, but I have no idea what. I have already done a system repair, twice, that should have fixed it, if that was the case.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Gamester
  4. Gamester

Here are some pics to help better represent the issue...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. IronDuke

On the Audio tab you need to select the devices.
  6. Gamester

LOL, wish I could, however they are all greyed out because my system thinks there is no sound card. I've even tried all the stuff in this fourm http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic3088.html and still can't get my sound back :(
  7. Gamester

updated pics
  8. IronDuke

Try as it says and reinstall the card. It is not properly installed.
  9. Gamester

As I stated in on of my previous posts, I've tried that already and even tried different sound cards/PCI slots but still nothing changes. I'm almost certain that it is a OS file/driver problem, since I have hooked up other hard drives with XP and the sound worked fine. I would just like to find a way to fix my OS without having to format and start over. There has to be a way to fix this problem some how. I just can't figure out what it is causing the problem, I've tried every means of ways to fix it that I could think of, but have'nt had any luck :confused:
  10. Gamester

If any one has any other ideas of how to fix my problem please reply. This problem is driving my crazy.

Thank you,
    Gamester
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.