Strange SSID problem in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

Its not a problem as such, but its annoying me now. My Wi-Fi's SSID is "barnes", but when I click in windows 7 to the bottom right, it says: "Currently connected to barnes 3". But it then goes on to list, among other wi-fi's, "barnes" not with the 3. I have been receiving checks from my ISP, because of slow internet, but this shouldn't effect it. I had at least 5 times where my computers wi-fi completely dropped out, and then cam back in a minute later. Its only been since I check it, that its coming up as "barnes 3".

Really strange and annoying, anyone know why?

any chance a neighbor is playing games with you?

change your SSID to something else and see what shows up

Well no, they don't know that much about technology, BT homehub users! I think its my computer, I mean it says connected to "barnes", but it says Barnes 3 as the connection name...

Wireless profiles in Windows 7 can be renamed, but still connect to their original wireless network SSID.

While setting up your network, the SSID is also the name of the profile. I don't believe you can specific a name different than your wireless network's SSID until AFTER you make, in which case you are able to rename the network.

Is it possible that the profile has been created/modified/renamed a couple of times, which has given you "Barnes 3"?

If you are in doubt, you can always delete the wireless profile and create a new one with the name Barnes and the SSID Barnes. Just make sure you know your wireless password for WEP/WPA encryption.

Yeah, I deleted my profiles, still have the problem. There were only 2 profiles, and can't see an option to rename them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back