Strange things happening on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to a previous state using system restore a couple days ago. I haven't installed any software or added any hardware to my computer before this stuff started happening. I uninstalled some programs, defragmented the hdd and did disk cleanup. Now strange things are happening and I don't know how to fix them.

For some reason system restore won't come in. The window opens but it's all white. No words no nothing.

In Outlook Express the window where the email contents is suppose to be seen shows nothing. It's just a gray box. Everything else comes in. The list of messages and the files n folders are both shown. The menu and everything else comes in fine.

Also help and support won't open. I click on it and the cursor shows the hour glass but it never opens.

Is there another way to restore to a previous stable state without using system restore?

Can anyone please help me fix these problems?

Blank dialogue boxes mean missing or corrupted script files.

Solution -

Click Start,Run and paste in these commands,one by one.

regsvr32 jscript.dll click Ok

regsvr32 vbscript.dll click Ok

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll click Ok (for Internet Explorer 6)

See HERE for more info.

Nothing worked. I did what you said to do and it didn't work. I went to Windows help n support and that didn't work either. Now I have more problems.

In device manager problem with my sound card. Problem with plug n play software device enumerator. Internet Explorer shortcut doesn't work. Says it can't find iexplorer.exe. Help n support still won't open. Search won't open. Still can't see emails and restore still won't show.

I think I'll have to reinstall XP and everything else. You think a fresh start would be best?

Assuming all those dlls were successfully registered,and still nothing

works,then a "fresh start" may well be best.

Sometimes people spend more time trying to fix something,

than it would have taken to reinstall.

There are two other things you could try before that,but they may not fix anything -

1.System File Checker - sfc /scannow You will need the XP CD handy

2.A repair install.See HERE
That just reinstalls most of the OS without touching any of your personal data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back