Strange things in my Windows!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MELDRIDGE

Whenever I create a new folder inside another it does not apear. I have to go up a level and then open it again to see the new folder I created. Same goes with renaming a file as well. Any ideas?

UNFORTUNATELY YES. i USE NORTON. iT HAS BEEN AN ISSUE FOR QUITE A WHILE BUT I JUST JOINED THIS FORUM AND HOPE SOMEONE COULD HELP.

Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

I WAS ACTUALLY JUST SENDING MYSELF A LINK TO MY HOME EMAIL TO DO THAT. tHIS WILL FIX MY LITTLE PROB?

sorry for the caps.

i guess you recomend the firewall program in the link over windows?

If you are referring to the windows firewall then yes, it isn't very effective at keeping the nasties at bay!!!!

in the removing norton thread the one guy said after he removed it it was like his pc just took a huge #$#$ and could run faster and jump higher. LMAO! I can't wait.

Do you belive this will fix my folder issue too?

Are you aware that your directory tree has limits as to how many files and levels it will hold. How many folders inside other folders are your trying to assemble?

I HAVE LIKE 10 MAIN FOLDERS IN MY PICTURES AND EACH OF THOSE HAVE MULTIPLE INSIDE THEM. iT DOES THIS WHEN TRYING TO ADD SAY 2007 FOLDER IN MY PICTURES.

invisible file folders

One of the consistant and best things about XP is the way it works to help you find files and folders through its indexing system, But you should remember some basic rules:
a) Try to keep file and folder names as short as possible. We have gone beyond the 8 character file name, but don't over do.
b) Try to keep like files in the same folder.
c) Don't put so many subfolders in one folder that you can't see them in one page. You can always create shortcuts to pictures that are associated with a document, (the shortcut going to the next folder where you have stored the image or table).
d) Keep the naming of your files and folders to a uniform syntax, this allows for faster indexing and searches.
e) I do not know if the rule holds true for folder/file limitations in a root drive. In otherwords, a DOS based system, which XP is not supposed to be, is limited to 512 Folders and files in the root directory, usually your c:\ drive.
f) At any rate, it is always a good idea to keep your data, pictures, etc in a drive other than the root, just in case of a crash or malfuntion and your computer will always run faster the less it holds. Put your pictures in a cascading directory on a CD, tape, or removable hard drive or other medium.

Hope this helps.

I still have not found any fix for this prob. But I did want to say that I uninstalled norton and installed AVG spyware, AVG antivirus and Zone alarm firewall and my pc is booting up and running quite faster than before with norton installed. AVG even found one trojan horse downloader that norton seemed to not see. Thanks to Rik and everyone with their persistence in letting people know about this.

I HAVE LIKE 10 MAIN FOLDERS IN MY PICTURES AND EACH OF THOSE HAVE MULTIPLE INSIDE THEM. iT DOES THIS WHEN TRYING TO ADD SAY 2007 FOLDER IN MY PICTURES.
Are you saying that you are loading a file from a 2007 porgram or do you mean you are trying to load 2007 pictures/folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back